Marantz sr5300

Ricky27

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there,ive had a marantz sr5200 for about a year now and still have the 2 second delay on chapter changes,something i can live with,although i was wondering if the new range also had this little quirk,or does the sound cut in instantly?
Some members may remember this issue with the sr range.

I had the same problem with my 5200. No longer with my new Sony, I can now actually hear the menu transition sound effects on Terminator 2, and the sound starts strait away after pausing and pressing play, and same goes with the layer change, no delay :) :)! I'd still be interested to hear if they sorted this with the 5300 tho.

If you're playing a disc straight through, then no problems, but if you jump to a specific chapter, then there is a short delay. Nowhere near 2 seconds, but a little annoying nonetheless. Same goes for layer change. A shame really, cos it spoils an otherwise great amp imo. Most noticeable if you're playing cd's as you miss the first second (ish) of the track you skip to - though this would be cured by using an analogue connection I presume (will try this tomorrow).

I've got my CD player hooked up via the analogue connection and no delay when jumping from track to track. Can't say I've noticed a delay when going from chapter to chapter on DVD's I'll look out for it tonight ...

DTTB

I've heard that 2 second delay before with the X200 series.
This is totally gone with the new X300 series. I had my
SR7300 for a month now and loving it more everyday.

When using either the coax or optical digital inputs there is an initial audio delay of approx 0.5 second while the receiver works out the signal format.

If you pause, stop or skip tracks/chapters on a dvd/cd then there is no perceivable delay when restarting.

If you change the input source on the receiver or remove the disk from the selected device, then the initial 0.5 second delay returns when you press play.

Just returned a 5300 today.

Got a 1.5-2 sec delay when using DVD's, missing menu sounds (Blade II), but playing Cd's through the same setup there was no delay.

There is a short delay when the DVD/CD starts and the RS5300 is in "Auto" mode. Around 0.5 sec, nothing even near 2 sec.

If you select the audio mode you want (e.g. Dolby PL2) the delay disappears.

No delay on layer change (DVD). No delay on song chances (CD).

Personally I am very happy with it. The occasional 0.5 sec delay does not disturb me and do not compromises the audio/video experience.

Would I buy it again? Yes, I would. :smashin:

Same here... the half a second delay doesn't bother me either, i wouldn't hesitate in buying this amp again or recommending it to others. Interesting to know that it disappears if you select the specific decoding method you want.

Surely that's a bit hit and miss tho, some 5.1 films will have stereo menus, the only dvds that seem to be all 5.1 (even the flipping studio logos) are the R3s from the far east.

A .5 sec delay I could live with.

I tried setting the decoding before playing, but it didn't help. The only time I didn't get the delay was when it was set to stereo.

I had a chat with a guy called Greg at Marantz, who after trying a few things, reckoned it was probably a fault with the DSP which was causing such a long delay with the unit I had.

I'd love to get another one, I loved the sound from it. I'm currently back to using my Technics SA-DX 1050. :( But I'm wary of spending the same again and getting another unit with the same problem.

Totally agree with james and silent fly,fanatastic amp ,had mine for about 2 months now and the sound is awesome,very detailed and exciting in surround and gorgeous in stereo.

Ifyou like the sound,i would go back to RS and ask them to see another before you buy,you shoud look for a little round green sticker on the box serial number and on the back of the unit itelf,this indicates the long sound delays which were caused by a incompatible component with the uk voltage, have been modified.

Mine has one and i get a 0.5 second delay,def no more than a second.

RS didn't have any in stock, but I don't recall seeing any green stickers anywhere. Not on the unit itself or the box. Am beginning to wonder if the Marantz amps they are selling so much cheaper than anyone else are European versions, not UK.

Had a chat with hifi-junkies. Excellent pre-sales, hopefully won't need to find out about the after-sales. Very helpful and informative. They deal with Marantz direct, so took the plunge and ordered one from them. It arrives tomorrow. :D

It's arrived, and is definitely a UK one as it has the green spot by the serial numbers.

As you say, a slight delay initially, then it runs like a dream.

Am very happy. And can highly recommend HifiJunkies. Very friendly with backed with prompt delivery.

Originally posted by nelthel
It's arrived, and is definitely a UK one as it has the green spot by the serial numbers.

As you say, a slight delay initially, then it runs like a dream.

Am very happy. And can highly recommend HifiJunkies. Very friendly with backed with prompt delivery.

Do you experience the delay when you pause and restart a film.

I have just swappped a 5300 at RS, for one with the little green round sticker and I am still having a delay. Am I expecting too much, do all AV amps have a delay ?

Hi All,

I have the SR4300, and i love it. I don't really notice the delay problem, there is a slight delay using the optical / coaxial connector when in auto mode. But it's fine and no delays using the analogue audio connection.

Mine was bought from RS, and i haven't noticed any green dots on the box. Does it need to be updated ??

When i was looking for a av amp, nothing touched the Marantz on music duties, and it's used for 60% Music / 40% Movies.

Thanks for your help !!

Cheers

Cosmic023

Nothing that I've noticed enough to annoy me while watching dvd's. It does say in the manual that when in Auto decoding there may be a slight delay.

The one I originally had was giving a 1.5-2 sec delay when starting, pausing and playing or changing chapters on a disc. As an example the Touchstone logo would be halfway across the screen before the sound came on. I don't consider that to be a slight delay.

I'm over the moon with my 5300. The sound quality is stunning. For price/performance/quality I consider it a bargain.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom