1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz Sr5300 volume trouble , help appreciated

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by midwinter, Sep 11, 2003.

Tags:
  1. midwinter

midwinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey folks ,

I'm new to these forums but I would appreciate your help on a dilemma I have , this seems the most appropriate forum to post on as you all seem to know your stuff maybe you can help.

I recently Purchased a Marantz SR5300 reciever. I have an Eltax Evolution surround setup which consists of two front floorstanders with a powered sub in the bottom of each one . Two small rears and a centre. Also a Slimline Sony dvd player. The front two speakers are bi-wired and the dvd player is connected by a Digital coax cable.

I used to own a Sherwood(65 watts perchannel) AV reciever and on its volume scale the front were loud at 50 out of 100. The new reciever(90 watts per channel) uses a different scale from -75 to +15 , when playing an audio cd some cds are fine at -20 and some need to be turned to -10 , but with surround sound DVDs this sometimes needs to be turned to -5 , this seems very high to me. Is it?

Any help is much appreciated

2. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mine seems to be the same. I put it down to the volume that the source is coded at.
    ie. dts tends to sound much louder than DD at the same volume.

Cd could also sound louder if the stereo mode is chosen as this would make more wattage available to just two speakers.

All in all i dont think it is any problem. your amp still has a lot in reserve.

Oh you could also have the speakers set up rong. try putting the test tone on and upping the volume for each channel.

3. midwinter

midwinter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its good to hear from another sr5300 owner. At the moment all the channels are not increased by more than 1 or 2 as i was afraid if running the volume at -8 or -10 (+15 being the maximum) incase i overran the amp and damaged it , the front speakers are set to large , rears small , centre small , no rear centre , subwoofer set to yes.

Its fantastic in stereo mode with source direct , I appreciate your comments and thanks they made me a little less worried.

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All new audio gear is the same- my Lexicon MC-1 processor does this. I could plug a 500W amp into the MC-1. Nothing to do with amp power. It'll be exactly like your Marantz- CD's need to be set lower than a DVD.

Just because it looks different to your previous amp means it's no "less powerful"

00dB is reference point- when all speakers are set to 75dB from the amp's own test tones. So -10dB for me (for DVD's) is about my comftable listening volume.

5. pentode

pentode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't worry !

I have an SR5300 & noticed the same thing (compared with my yammy DSP-A5)

You're right - listening to cds in stereo source-direct mode on my B&W 601s3's sounds fantastic !

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Don’t Worry –5 is a little loud for DVD but not overly so, that is possibly the sensitivity of your speakers do you know what it is? How big is your room? Also in speaker set up make sure you do not have main speakers set to –10 or something.

As Nathan has said, dB is only relevant to a point of reference your point of reference -75dBC at your seating position with the internal test tone.

My listening volume for DVD & Sky varies from about –25 to –10. Depending on how I am feeling and the type of film, this equates to between 75 and 90 dBC at my seat, believe me plenty loud enough.