1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5300 Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RobTheLegend, Jan 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. RobTheLegend

RobTheLegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hello.
    Had this reciever for a couple of months now and there are a few annoying things it does which my old cheaper Yamaha did not do.
    For a start there is about a 2.5 second delay from starting a movie untill the sound catches up, its like the onboard decoder is a bit slow,its the same when you skip a track it takes the amp a few seconds to catch up. Is this normal?
    Also on many diferent dvds ive started to notice a high pitch sound coming out of the center speaker .You can here it more when there are diolog scenes, it is really apparent and is starting to ruin my ennjoyment.
    If anyone can help me out i will be really gratefull.
    thanks then rob. ps i have tried changing the speaker and the cable.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Rob

I have a 7200 which also has the sound start delay you mention. To be honest, the only time it annoys me is at the layer change when the sound drops out for about 2 seconds.

I do not have the high pitch sound though and would suggest that may be a fault and it may be worth you returning it to the dealer for them to check/swap. The 7200 is a great amp but falls far short on feature count even when compared to my old Sony DA50ES. Can't even name the input sources on this one :( .

Never mind, I'll have my new A1SR soon :D

3. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Jet555,

Sorry to hear your having problems,and im surprised that you are having this 2.5 second delay with chapter changes/menus etc,as this was supposed to all be sorted now.

When the x200 range came out some of them had this delay,something that Marantz eventually recognised and then did something about,fixing the units and then ,with future runs,all should of been fine.It was ,we were told,down to a component not reacting well to our power supply.Units with this fix have a small,round green sticker on the rear panel

Now the new x300 ranges i would of thought would of all been perfect,mine is fine,but does still have a delay of under a second,which is no problem IMO.

Does yours have a sticker on the back?if not maybe this is the same old story over again.

4. RobTheLegend

RobTheLegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Thanks for the replys guys
    There is no sticker on the back of my amp and the delay is def about 2 secs. Bought the machine from Empire direct.
    Have you guys experienced the hight pitch noise, i listen to most soundtracks at about -20 db ive heard this noise in How high, The matrix, reign of fire to name 3.
    rob

5. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear your problems wit the Marantz but it does appear to be the same fault as x200 series, at least on some machines.

I recently bought the 4300 from RS, for its musicality: 6.1, DPLII etc, and there was a definite delay on chapter/track changes probably about 1-2 secs in some cases. It even happened on the start of some DVD's!! I went for the x300 because the fault/s were supposed to be fixed!!

I wasn't that impressed with its 'so-called' musical abilities tbh so changed mine for a Yammy DSP AX630 - much happier. Excellent with movies and still holds a good tune.

Regards

7ThGuest :)

6. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I have been fed up with centre channel problem since i got amp! It runs a b&w centre which was fine with my other old amp, my other speakers are Kef. I have changed amp for the delay problem but shop got peeved with me when i moaned about centre channel saying it was a feature of amp. Its like voices have a high pitched interferance which get worse the higher you up the centre channel [the channel seems quieter than the others] its damn annoying since i want to increase centre as voices seem too quiet, but doing this makes them sound screechy. The amps a 6200.

7. RobTheLegend

RobTheLegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hi Martian1, what you describe is exactly the problem with my amp this cant be right can it?

Hi 7th guest, does the yammy have dts discreet and also does it have any sound delay??

Does anyone know where i stand on getting a replacement?
    thanks in advance
    rob.

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I used to have a Marantz SR5200, and had long been complaining about the delay. It also seemed to be made longer by using a Marantz DVD player! I've now got all Sony gear and it's faultless, esp with the latest firmware on my AV reciever. A good test was Terminator 2, on the Marantz, I couldn't hear the transition sound effects on the menus because it was too slow to kick in. On my Sony, I never miss a sound. I'm sorry to hear that they havn't sorted this with the 5300, I for one won't be buying Marantz again!

9. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jet555, yes the yammy has full: 6.1 DD, DD-EX, DTS, DTS-ES discrete decoding & DPLII, as well as all the other yammy dsp modes - which I don't think anyone else uses tbh. This is my second yammy and I certainly don't. No sound delays at all.

As for how to go about getting another I am no expert mind but have had several dealings like this before and been successful. I would have suggested trying to have taken steps immediately rather that waiting but hey ho your still have your statutory rights and minimum 1 year warranty.

Write to Empire Direct (you can of course telephone but back everything up with written/faxed correspondence names, dates, times etc) and explain what the specific problems are with the equipment & how long they have been there. Try and see if they will give you a replacement machine in the first instance.

It is unlikely, but still possible, that you may get a full refund if you can convince them this has been like this from day one.

You must give them the chance 'to make things good' and within 'a reasonable time frame' more difficult the fact it is mail-order. This generally means they will take the machine back off you and get it checked by the manufacturer, most likely leaving you without a machine - depending on your terms of agreement/contract of course.

I would suggest being particularly firm and ask to speak to, direct your correspondence at, a 'named' Supervisor/Manager at least. Within your correspondence make sure you quote that the equipment is 'NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE' and 'TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE'

This should ensure they prick there ears up and sort it out quickly at least. As it suggests 'NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE' means they have sold an item that does not work properly and they have a duty to rectify this situation. And as for 'TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE' this is telling them that you have a time-frame you want to resolve the issue within, that being said it must be reasonable (I usually give 2-3 weeks max, but this obviously may be longer in your case).

If this doesn't help or they are not bothered with what you propose you are then probably looking at a small claims court. That is why you have to be reasonable at giving them time to resolve the problem. Not an easy situation in any case. I would go to the CAB if you do get embroiled in something like this - some of the CAB people are very good and will help you draft complaint letters etc.

Stick to your guns though, you have your statutory rights and you have forked over lots of your hard earned dosh in 'good faith'

I know it's not of great comfort but maybe a thought if you do get a refund (that'll be £25 by the way ;) I rang RS 5 days after I got my Marantz and said 'I wasn't completely satisfied' with the product as per para2 pg 3 of their catalogue and they said 'OK what do you want' I ordered the yammy and kept the Marantz until it arrived. People knock them as box shifters but I can't fault that type of service.

Anyway enough of my ramblings hope this works if you decide to try it.

Regards

10. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Be ready for a rough ride,maybe Empire have improved over the last year,but mt toshiba tv went wrong within 3 months and they bluntly refused to replace it,no matter what i said.

They said they will get it repaired by a local company which should take about a week and i was without my tv for 6 weeks.

Hope you have more luck then i do .

Have to say though,my 5300 is superb,i wouldnt swop it ,sounds like you have a faulty unit as i can hear no high pitched tone on any channels,and the delay is only aout 0.5 second.

11. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same as ricky, very slight delay on audio decoding pick up (certainly less than a second) and no dodgy tones through the centre or any other channel for that matter. great amp. love it.

12. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Had the same problem with my sr7200. The sound delay was worse on the layer change as it started causing lyp synch problems

I too sold it to get a Yamaha 630

Personally think this is a right rip off as I lost about 300 pounds selling it second hand because of this problem

Marantz should really be complained about on this issue and the 300 series should have solved the problem

Personally I would not live with it when other amps do not do it and I would try and get your money back

13. DanielGTST

DanielGTST
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a SR6200 Amp with a DV4200 DVD player and was having the same problem with the sound delay. I contacted the dealer and replaced the DVD player with another DV4200 to make sure it was that and not the Amp, this of course did not fix the problem.

I tried my XBOX using Dolby Digital and there was no delay at all, then I tried an old cheap DVD player and this had only a slight delay, almost negligible.

I reported this to the dealer and luckily the DV4300 had just arrived, he offered to swap my DV4200 for one. Since doing this the layer change is almost non-existent and the sound usually takes about 300-500 ms to catch up, sometimes almost instantly, not very noticeable at all. I was using Star Wars Episode II, chapter 28 (Asteroid Chase) as the layer change reference.

So if all else fails a new DVD player might fix your problem!

Daniel

14. RobTheLegend

RobTheLegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hi again,
    Im currently using a pioneer 747 which when i bought it it was one of the best machines out. Ive also tried a v.modern JVC combo unit which still causes the delay problem. Also i have tried switching from coaxial to optical digital with no difference.My dvd player/center speaker were fine with my old yammy a5.
    Empire are collecting my amp today so i 'll have to wait and see what happens.
    thanks then
    rob

15. RobTheLegend

RobTheLegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hi again.
    Just to let you know Empire finally picked my amp up.
    I gave them a ring to confirm and explained to the supervisor the problems I HAD with the amp and amazingly they have agrred to give me a full refund.! So thanks everyone for your help it is a bit of a shame really because the Marantz does look and sound loverly but any sound delay for me is unexeptable.
    So now on Fri i will buy the Yammy rx630 or the Denon 1803 and be left with change.
    I am buying mainly for home cinema use.
    See ya around
    rob.

16. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    surely during the layer change there will be a delay in sound no matter what receiver you use

17. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one jet, and good for empire direct.

18. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    No, I don't get a delay during layer change, all I get is a tiny "drop out" while the actual layer change is taking place, and the image pauses, when the video starts playing again, the sound starts again strait away (all this takes about half a second) - but on the Marantz, it took a second or 2 extra for the sound to start after the video had started playing.

19. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry that's what I meant, layer change causes both picture and sound 'delay'. It's a momentary drop out (like you say) on my 5300 no more.

20. RobTheLegend

RobTheLegend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Hi again,
    It wasnt just layer change which annoyed me,take terminator 2;
    as said previously the Marantz was to slow to hear the transition noises on the menues, misses off the start of the thx intros and sometimes changing soundtracks via the dvd remote often resulted in no sound at all untill i paused the disc and then resumed.
    My old Yammy had instant sound so thats what i expected when i upgraded to the 5300, it may not annoy some people, but i wasnt happy.
    Really looking foward to getting the Yammy rx630.
    rob.

21. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi

I had exactly the same problem with my SR7200 and did exactly the same as you, bought a Yamaha 630

It is not even an issue on the Yamaha. Plus I think you will find movie play back is better than the Marantz if it is any consolation