1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5300 Peak level LED

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by andycoyne, Sep 17, 2003.

Tags:
  1. andycoyne

andycoyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed that the Peak level LED on the front display flickers on and off when in CD mode.

I'm using my Toshiba SD210E DVD player connected to the amplifier's analogue CD input.

If I switch to DVD mode, which is the same player connected by digital coaxial, then no flickering. Also in CD mode pressing the ATT (Attenuate) button on the remote reduces the volume slightly and again the light stops flickering.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It sounds like the Input level is too high for the Amp (although I can not find any reference to the PEAK indicator in my manual), does it do it if you set the DVD in the same mode as the CD and play a CD via the digital input? I am not familiar with the DVD player have a look through the manual/set-up screens and see if you can control the Analogue out level.

I assume you have the two modes set differently because you have different settings for CD and DVD? On option may be if you have another digital out from the DVD Player feed that in as well and set it up with your CD preferences, it may even sound a little better.

3. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    My 4200 used to do the same thing with my sony cd player untill I switched from phono (analog) to coax (digital). The problem has now stopped.

4. tpullen

tpullen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same thing happening with my SR5300. If I put it in source direct mode it is fine.

My guess is the the peak light means that the input voltage is too high for the amp's DSP stuff. Source direct removes this, hence no light.

It would be nice if the manual said something about it....

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    ive noticed the level from my tosh sd-210e's analogue outputs to be too high - certainly much higher than it's sp-dif out. It was high enough to cause slight distortion actually.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you not adjust analogue input gain level?

You can on my MC-1 :)

7. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    lol. not everyone has an mc-1 nathan.

8. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    If you can check the condition of the wire inside the phono plugs. My Mara 4200 did it because the screen had worked loose at one end of the cable. :)

9. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yep - it is the ATT button on the remote.

What do you think of the Lexicon what sort of sound do they give with music?

10. wob8s

wob8s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Iv'e just joined this forum only 5 mins ago and see you have the same question as me, I also have the SR5300.
    I've also got another prob and don't know if it is my receiver or DVD player (Pioneer 525). At various points in a film the sound goes and I just get a high pitched white noise. If I switch to Analog then it is ok or if I pull the digital coax cable out and plug it back in that seems to cure it. ANY ideas ???

11. andycoyne

andycoyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll just stick with the digital coax connection and forget about analogue.

12. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All you 5300 owners - how do you take it out of source direct mode?

I find i have to turn the dsp buttonthingy so it goes back to auto. Its really irritating and i waish it was just a case of pressing the source direct button again but it isnt!

13. andycoyne

andycoyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can do it through the remote - press menu, go down to surround and change the surround mode back to auto.

14. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I keep mine in Source Direct mode for Analogue - sounds far better to my ears, plus no PEAK light - it lights up in standard stereo.

The irony is that I'm using a marantz DVD player for a CD player... what did they test the blimmin' amp with?!?!?!