1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5300 Amp - Broken?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by a_v_phile, Nov 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. a_v_phile

a_v_phile
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HEEEEEEELLPPPP!!

Whilst watching the rugby this morning, my sub (KEF Egg PSW2010) randomly decided to give a loud noise (a cross between an explosion in a film and an electrical crackle), this was followed by complete silence from the SW.

After recovering from the initial shock I tried everything to get it to work but to no avail. Assuming it to be a SW problem I contacted the shop from where I purchased it and after their advice found the SW to be working normally (hum when finger applied to lead). After conecting all back up again, the SW began to work (hmm mysterious!), however at a significantly reduced volume.

So, still assuming a SW problem, I took the SW into the shop and found that all was perfectly normal. It is therefore clearly an amp problem. I have had no previous problems with any of my AV kit.

Any idea what could be wrong?
    I think I am going to take it back to RS on Monday.

(I was listening at quite a low volume (-45db) at the time and the amp had been on for about an hour.)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated as the Eggs really suffer without a SW!

:suicide: :confused: