1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by aqureshi, Jan 14, 2002.

Tags:
  1. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have just bought the above receiver and was wondering if any body can give me some tip for setting it. I have attached it to pioneer 444 DVd via coaxial cable and I have also bought Marantz set of speakers.
    When you switch it on, do you normally leave it to auto so it can adjust to Audio(5.1, DTS...) of what is on the DVD disk you are playing or do you have to manually set it.
    Also what are the settings I need to do on the Receiver and DVD to get the optimum sound.

Cheers

Asad

2. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Noone has replied to my thread regarding the same receiver.

Let me know what it sounds like when you have set it up.

Where did you purchase it from?

How much did you pay?

3. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You need to get the On screen display working on your TV (from the composite video out marked monitor TV) and work through it
    while using the manual. I haven't finished yet and can see it taking quite a few attempts yet!!

4. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    There must be someone in this forum who has gone through the whole set up.Please help us.

Cheers

Asad

5. WSC

WSC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you leave the system on auto then you will essentially get one of three modes out (depending on the source) - DD/DTS and stereo. If you want one of the others (e.g. DPLII) then you need to select it. You can select either from the dial or from the remote (select amp by double clicking on the amp button and then you can press the symbol - select the symbol multiple times to page through the diff. versions).

When the system is in stereo mode it bypasses a whole load of circuitry to try and give you as clean a sound as possible.

In terms of setup to get the best sound there is nothing special (depending on your speaker system. If you have sub/sat then setup sats to be small and sub to be large; if you have "proper" main speakers then set them up to be large and others small)

It only has a few DSP's compared to say the Yamaha - I quite like Matrix for a surround sound effect on stereo material - but just enjoy playing with it.

Try and use good quality connections to things to get the best sound.

I don't have the pioneer DVD so I can't comment.

Hope that helps

Rgds

6. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorry I couldn't reply earlier as I was away from home.
    I don't have Sub but my Front speakers are M73s, the centre is also Mission and the surround(2 at the back) are also Mission.
    So Do I need to set the front as Large and the 2 at the back as small. Is that correct. what about the centre. would that be small as well.
    one thing i noticed when i was trying to set up that on the channel level control all the dB values are 0. what does this mean. Do i need to hange these values.

Also on the speaker set up screen(3/3) what does Front-L means.

Is there some one who can share his settings with us.

Cheers

Asad

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. I have the 6200 but I guess the process is going to be similar.

1. Connect an Svideo to Scart cable between monitor out socket on the reviever to the scart on your TV. This might be the most difficult part !!!
    2. enter the OSD (menu and go into setup).
    3. Follow the setup menu and enter the distance to each of your speakers from the listening position.
    4. Continue to the speaker test and ensure that the speakers all sound the same volume. (This is hard to do and can be useful to have a sound level meter).
    5. exit the menu.

When playing a movie I suggest selecting either the Dolby or DTS setting depending on the movie you are playing.

I have found that on auto it takes over a second to lock onto the correct format to decode. If you select Dolby or DTS it takes less time (about half a second).

8. Aqualung

Aqualung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also have the 6200 and I am dissapointed with the lack of information in the manual. In the week I have had the amp several questions have arisen which the manual doesn't cover. For instance, is it possible to change the order of the station presets of the tuner once the initial setup has completed.

Is there any way I can get more questions answered apart from asking here!

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My 6200 arrives this week so at least there will be three of us then.

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, must admit the manual doesn't tell you much. like for example, I can't find anywhere where it says what the cut off frequency is for "small" as opposed to "large" speaker setting.

grrrrr....

11. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Hello

I have the sr7200

Can I ask if anyone has noticed the following

When the DVD layer changes, the audio stops, then when the 2nd layer starts to player the audio comes back and a sort of blip noise is heard - or pop?

It is a bit distracting and I wondered if any other Marantz owners had noticed this

I have it set to auto mode

Thanks

12. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

When connecting TV output(L&R) sound to the input on AMP, what do you select on the Amp. Do we need to select A/D button.

Cheers

Asad

13. mitch316

mitch316

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does anybody know what the little red icon that looks like a speaker cone on the front display means,there is no mention of it in the manual.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    My 6200 which I finished setting up yesterday is my third AV amp and by far the most user unfriendly.

According to the manual you can assign some of the analogue inputs to either digital or analogue although I cannot understand why. Switching is not automatic.

I have input the audio from my Digibox to the "TV" input and set it as analogue. Every time I switch the amp back on it reverts back to digital and I have to press the A/D button to get any sound out which is the exact opposite of what the manual states.

If Asad's is the same I would suggest connecting the outputs from the TV to some other input ( VCR2 maybe ) so you don't have to keep switching from A to D.

The set up is nowhere near as flexible as my previous Sony 1070 as all you can adjust is distance, large / small and levels.

Asad - the factory settings for levels are 0Db but you need to use the test tones to ensure that the sound output from each speaker is the same. There is no point in other users posting their settings as their speakers and room layouts will all be different.

Mitch 316 - The only use that I can see for the red icon on the display is to tell deaf people that there is sound coming out of the speakers.

I have only had mine set up for a day and haven't even watched a film yet so will reserve any comments on performance until the unit has had a chance to bed in properly.

15. Kevin Bracey

Kevin Bracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speaker icon is just there to show what the A/B icons next to it mean. Oh, hang on - the 6200 and below only have one speaker set, so it's probably just a hang-over from the 7200, which has little "A" and "B" icons showing which of the two speaker outputs are active. If neither A nor B are on, the little speaker goes out.

As to digital configuration, what you need to do is go into SYSTEM SETUP, and for each of CD, CD-R, DVD, TV and DSS select which (if any) digital input is used for each source. If you don't have a digital input for a source, make sure it's set to ANA. If a source has a digital input, selecting that source will always select the digital input. Pressing A/D will temporarily switch to the analogue input.

16. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to Kevin and Ian for the explaination on some of the things i was struggling with.
    I have got Toshiba 36ZP18 Tv and have connected the analogue L&R output from TV to AMP(TV). I believe the sound which comes out from tv is analogue and if I understand clearly that's the reason I need to pess A/D.
    Ian did you change any of the levels. I will do what you suggested and see if all the speakers are producing the same sound.
    Did you set them as large dor front and small dor the rears. I don't have sub.

Cheers

Asad

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Asad,

I have finished setting my 6200 up again. It seems that I didn't press the right buttons yesterday and as soon as I exited the OSD all of the settings went back to the factory defaults.

The output from your TV will be analogue so use the TV analogue input on the amp and press OK in the OSD (which I didn't do) and you will not have to press the A/D button every time.

In the OSD when you input all of the channel levels and speaker sizes you have to "lock" the information in otherwise as soon as you leave the OSD it will revert to the factory settings.

Set your fronts to large. The others are down to experimentation. I have my Mission 77DS set to small but I have a sub. I don't know Mission model numbers but if your fronts are floorstanders then set the centre to small.

For the best level setting you need a Sound Pressure Level meter as they are far more accurate than just using your ears.

Good Luck

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say I've noticed that but then again I may not have watched a DVD with a layer change in it yet.

Mind you having said that I do have a slight problem with DVD menus etc.

I have a philips DVD710 connected to it (SR6200) via the co-ax digi3 conenctor. When in a DVD menu, if the backgroup video clip loops or I select another area in the menu, the audio drops out and the receiver has to lock onto the signal again. This can take up to a second or so.

I dunno if this is a feature of the SRx200 range or if my DVD player stops sending a digital signal for a short period.

Anyone else noticed this ?

19. Aqualung

Aqualung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep, we've noticed that on our 6200 too, read on The Dvd forums that this is quite commen with some DVD players. You do actually get used to it after a while but still frustrating.