1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5200 S-Video Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by VurtHed, Feb 2, 2003.

Tags:
  1. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have a video problem with my SR5200.

All sources (s-video) that pass through it - DVD and several consoles produce the same error on the tv screen.

A sudden white flash (e.g. strobe) from the source produces a picture roll on the TV. Like it's losing v-sync for a moment.

The error goes away when the source is connected directly to the TV. So:

source ---<s-video>---> SR5200 ---<s-video>---> tv = error

source ---<s-video>---> tv = *no* error

I have noticed no other problems with the SR5200 except occasional 'motion blur' on the OSD.

The TV is an old(ish) Toshiba, I've tested it on a brand new Tosh with the same problem occuring. Could be a Marantz/Toshiba incompatability I guess?

Anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Hi,your problem is one of a few that affected the x200 range last year,the others being long delays on signal locking,pops from dts .
    Where did you get it from?

3. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers Rick :smashin:

Hmm... so it's a common problem. Do you know if it's a fix, or a replace job?

I got it from Home Cinema Heaven. I emailed with Justin there who hadn't come across it before. Thought I'd find out if anyone knew owt before i got onto Marantz.

4. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Im surprised you have a faulty unit,should of all been cleared up by now,does yours have a green stciker on the back,its normally on the serial number sticker.

This shows the unit has has the modifications.
    have a look.

5. catrevilla

catrevilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cat here,

With your problem I suggest this: If you suggest that the source of the problem is the SR5200, test with another source, I imagine by source, you're using a camcorder or a digital photographic camera. I suggest that you change to another source, and try it again. If it happens again, return it to the dealer, or send it to the nearest Marantz customer service center (or try the web), and tell them your problem.

I believe... that maybe one of the IC chips which control the video switching, is probably defective with chromatic/synchrony problems. If that's the case they'll switch chips and case closed.

From my experience Marantz is the highest quality branch by Phillips. Those guys build some of the best audio/video equipment out there.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Cat Revilla

6. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    i would get the unit replaced if you havent had it long,if this one hasnt got a green sticker on the back,you are probably getting long delays on chapter changes too,have you noticed this atall?

7. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers Rick and Cat :smashin:

The unit is over a year old and has no green sticker. That's probably what's throwing you Rick. I am very ill and so have put up with the problem for the 9 or 10 months I've known about it as I've been bedridden, and really need the amp for my DVDs and games to keep me sane!

I'm feeling slightly better and so think maybe now's a good time to get it sorted. It's got a 2 year warranty.

I haven't noticed long delays on chapter changes. I'll do some tests and see if I've been missing them.

Cat - it's definitely the amp, not the source. I've tried 6 sources and they all do the same thing.

I've got the details for my local Marantz dealer and will contact Marantz soon (just wanted to eliminate the Tosh TVs from the equation - which, as Rick says it's a common problem, we have).