1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5200 - PS2

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by burnbank8, Feb 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. burnbank8

burnbank8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys, just bought a PS2, whats the best way guys to plug in my PS2 for optimum
    performance??

Straight to the amp?...which plug and what cable?
    Any other setup issues i need to know?

SET is as:

Tv(phillips 32pw9617) has:
    EXT1 - connected to DVD
    EXT2 - connected to SAT.
    EXT3(scart) - spare
    EXT4(scart) - Spare

and various vid/dig. outputs etc.

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Personally I run the video straight to the TV into an RGB capable SCART socket (use something like the Blaze PS2 RGB cable available from GAME and other retailers).

You could route the video (as S-Video) via your Marantz but the image with RGB will probably be better.

The audio I connected using an optical (TOSLINK) cable to my processor. You'll need to enable the optical output on the PS2 (it's in the setup options where you set the clock and time zone etc).

Also, to get DD or DTS from DVDs you need to enable DD and DTS. You'll need to load up a DVD, pause it then bring up the PS2 DVD menus and go to the Audio options. In here you can enable DD & DTS output.

Hope that helps.

3. burnbank8

burnbank8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

Does this give me Surround sound through my Kefs? (same speakers as yourself).

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What you'll get will depend on what you're playing on your PS2.

Generally speaking yes you can get surround sound.

When playing a DVD movie with a DD or DTS soundtrack you'll get full on 5.1 surround sound (assuming you have a subwoofer as well ;) ) as long as the relevant options for DD & DTS have been enabled on the PS2.

You can either set your Marantz to Auto (so it looks at the incoming signal and chooses the appropriate format) or you can manually switch to DD or DTS.

If you're playing games, most won't output anything more fancy than straight 2 channel stereo. Switch your Marantz to Pro Logic II movie mode for your games and you'll get surround sound from these. Some games have audio designed to take advantage of PLII such as Burnout 2.

Some PS2 games have in game audio in DTS, in which case use Auto mode and let the Marantz get on with it. However, there aren't many of these.