1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5200 Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jasbyuk, Dec 13, 2001.

Tags:
  1. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive recently purchased the Marantz SR5200, and find that after around two hours, it switched itself off.

Has anyone else found this to happen on their model or is it just me? The plug had a 5 Amp fuse, yet the manual stated that the fuse needed was a 13 Amp.

Im no electrician, and I cant get my head around it at this time of night, but when I get the replacement, would it be a safe bet to put a 13 Amp fuse in place of the 5 Amp? I assume it wouldnt fry the circuitry, because the reciever itself draws the required electricity from the socket. Is that right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -J

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    DON'T up the fuse without dealer approval at the least. If you have a five amp fuse when it needed a thirteen the fuse would of gone if anything leaviing the amp in tact. But I'm guessing this aint the case cause you where able to turn on again ok which suggests the fuse was whole and good inside still?
    The idea that an electrical unit of any sort will only draw what it needs is false and very dangerous to the equipment (kapow) and moreover you. Consider why people buy powersurge breakers - I have for pc etc. - to prevent over supplies beit due to unit or mains pumping out to much for bad house wiring or whatever reason. Play safe.

3. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen a few similar posts now on this.

The fact is that a LOWER rated fuse will ALWAYS be safer for your equipment.

The fuse is designed to blow when electrical current exceeds it's capacity - thus saving your precious equipment.

If you stick a HIGHER rated fuse in the plug - the fuse will blow at a higher current - thus potentially allowing that current to damage your equipment.

The fact that your fuse did not blow means that the fault is not with the fuse, but with your equipment - the amp has probably overheated and it's thermal protection circuit has cut the power to save any damage (it could of course be a faulty thermal protection circuit). Check the airflow around the unit.

NEVER replace a fuse with one of a higher rating or try to use alternative "fuse" materials.

I have heard of people trying to replace the fuse with nails or twisted silver foil ! Needless to say, the resulting explosion did not encourage them to repeat the exercise.

Cheers

Laurel

4. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks you guys!

I phoned up Marantz customer service and they said more or less what you two just said.

I went to get the replacement the other day, and so far there's been no power cuts or problems. So Im keeping my fingers crossed that it'll all be ok.

Thanks again for all your advice!

Regards,

-J