1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5200 - do I need to upgrade for better stereo?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by sceptic, Mar 11, 2003.

1. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I’ve read that an a/v amp does not give as good 2-channel stereo as a dedicated integrated amp.
    So my question is -
    Will an integrated amp, such as the Rotel RA01 or Marantz 6010KI, give a much better sound than the SR5200?
    My kit is:
    Marantz CD6000KI
    Mission 771e speakers.
    OR would I be better off replacing the speakers?
    A home demo is difficult so I have to rely on the views on this forum.
    Thanks for your help

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    If you're unhappy with current stereo performance then consider upgrading your room - seriously. Look into acoustics and do something about those dang reflections, they ruin stereo imaging and much more besides.

Mike.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    While flimber is right, I would think that your amp is as you suspect the weak link for stereo playback...... there would be a very significant improvement with a good stereo amp. However, i would not like to recommend without you having a listen since how much the improvement is worth is totally an individuals opinion

ad

4. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    I used to have a Marantz SR5200 and found it's stereo performance adequate but I didn't use it much because music was slightly muffled and lacking in detail.

Adding a CD player (the NAD C521i in my case) helped a bit, but the amp was still beaten by my NAD C320.

At Christmas, I demo'd and purchased a Rotel RA1060 ... wow what a difference, music was just so much clearer and more enjoyable to listen to.

Vikki

5. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Is there a website I can look at to find out what I can do with my room acoustics? I'm not good at DIY but if there's a easy way to get an improvement I may have a go.

I totally agree that listening is important having once been tempted to buy a DAC purely on some rave reviews I'd seen. It turned out to be a complete waste of money.
    Home demos are difficult however without me committing to a purchase

This model is costs a bit more than I'd like.
    The models I'm interested in are slightly cheaper-
    Rotel RA01, Marantz 6010KI or the NAD 350
    Anyway thanks for you help guys!
    :smashin:

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Adding a stereo DAC to a AV processor like the 5200 would not have been beneficial Sceptic, the AV pres performance will have been the curtailing influence on the sound IMO, just like listening to a top of the range CDP thru the AV pre section. BTW every person I have ever read about adding a stereo amp to a AV amp like the 5200 has postively enthused about stereo playback improvement, even with higher quality AV Amps like Denon 3300/3800s have been improved banging on a dedicated stereo unit, pre outs and your away.

Good luck in your quest. My monies are on the Rotel to be your saviour BTW.

7. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks. The Rotel RA01/02 cetainly seems to be flavour of the month at the moment.
    Connecting it to the pres of the amp makes the remote control unnecessary, I think, so the RA01 at £250 is an attractive proposition.
    However Richer Sounds have the Marantz 6010KI for £200 at the moment so I'm not sure which is the best buy.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Sorry ... I was using the RA1060 purly as an example.

There are lots of other options ... Rotel RA-02 / RA-01, NAD C320 / C350 / C370, Arcam A65+ / A75+, etc.

From what you've written I think you've slightly missed what the "pre-amp" connections on the RA-02 is ... this is for connecting it to a second power amp to bi-amp speakers. The pre-outs from your Marantz have to connect to a standard line in - and you then have to adjust the volume on the Rotel to a suitable level for the fronts (using test tones) then each time you want to listen to music, simply turn the Rotel's volume to the same level - then use the Marantz to adjust the overall level.

Some people will say how annoying it is to have to adjust the Rotel's level in this way ... but to me it's no more time consuming than actually having to walk accross the room to put a DVD in the player (of course some people have multiple DVD changers so they don't have to do this either).

Of course the A75+ has a "fixed level" input elimnating the need to adjust it's volume for AV use, and similar can be accompished with the NAD using an external switch box.

Summing up though ... go and listen to a few amps with a good budget (£200-300) CD player and I think you'll be plesantly surprised.

Vikki

9. AmIEvil?

AmIEvil?

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When saying using an external switch box, are you referring to a speaker switching box or a box that will turn it to a fixed level input (is this possible). I have wanted to add a stereo amp to my AV amp for a while now, and have been interested in a NAD 320BEE to go with my C521i, but have been put off by having the thought of having to set the volume the volume whenever I want to watch a movie. (i'm just lazy, i'm a student after all!!):laugh:

Would this box turn the an input on the NAD to a fixed level one. If possible do you have any links to this box.

edit: Sorry forgot to ask if anyone knows of any other stereo amps with fixed level inputs? Would love the arcam but feel it might be overkill for my CD player and speakers (AE Evo 1's)

Thanks.

Dan

10. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    The way the NAD C320 - and I assume the BEE version too (along with all NAD intergrated amps AFAIK) - is designed it basically has a pre-amp and a poweramp in one box. These two "halves" are joined together normally by a pair of wire links between two pairs of phono sockets on the rear panel.

If you remove this link, you can then attach a short cable from the pre-out to one input of a source switching box (QED MA20 or similar). The second input of the MA20 is then connected to the pre-out of your AV amp. Finally another cable connects the output of the source switching box to the power-amp input of the C320BEE.

Now in one position, the MA20 will connect the pre-amp to the power amp, allowing best quality stereo music. In the second position the MA20 will connect the front outs of your AV amp to the poweramp for movie use.

Hope this helps ... and if anyone has anything to comment on this feel free as I've never done this in RL. Based on the quality of QED's speaker switch boxes though the degredation of quality using the extra switch will be unnoticable.

Vikki