1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5200 - delay before sound starts on DD & DTS

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cybersoga, Jul 8, 2002.

Tags:
  1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have a problem with my Marantz SR5200, it seems that it takes a few seconds for the reciever to "lock on" to the dolby digital/DTS track before the sound comes out the speakers - it's especially annoying while navigating DVD menus where I miss out on the transition sound effects, when i pause a movie and press play again it does it (2 second silence) and when the DVD layer change happens it does it also, it even does it in the THX audio test where it puts a test signal through each speaker. I am using digital coaxial connection from my DV4100OSE DVD player. I tried a different DVD player and it makes no difference. I phoned Marantz UK and they said this is "normal", but i'm really quite annoyed with it. I've already had Sevenoaks replace my reciever for a new one that came in only last week to see if it's been fixed on newer units. My friends Sony reciever doesn't do it. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem myself? I'm happy to take the cover off and modify what's needed. Failing that i'm considering selling it and getting the new Sony reciever. Please help!!!!

2. KevB_UK

KevB_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it's only about 2 seconds it's not a problem, it's deciding if the audio is DD or DTS that's all.

3. hermand

hermand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the reason I've decided not to get a Marantz amp. Interesting that you say you're getting it on the new replaced one, as I understood that this was a bug that Marantz had fixed.

Admittedly It doesn't _really_ matter (in terms of film enjoyment), but its bloody annoying - particularly when cheaper/ less well thought of amps don't have the same problem.

Cheers

Herman

FWIW I have heard that using an optical rather than coaxial connection makes the problem go away - have not tested this myself though.

4. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've tried both optical and coaxial and it makes no difference. Sevenoaks say that Denon recievers also have the same problem, but I've not tried a Denon myself. My friends Sony doesn't have the problem however.... If so many recievers have the problem then why do they bother putting menu transition sound effects on DVD's if most people can't hear them?
    KevB_UK have you ever tried Terminator 2 (for example) did you know there are supposed to be sound effects between menus? By the way, it works fine if I use the anologue input from the DVD player, the but obviously that's not an ideal solution. Oh and it doesn't have the problem on digital PCM (as used by audio CD's and some stereo DVDs) it's only on DD and DTS.

5. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    my new denon 2802 doesnot suffer from that problem no sound drop outs on menu or layer changes

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It's not a "drop out" problem it's a 3-4 second delay (silence) before the sound starts coming out of the speakers, but I suppose you could call it a drop out during the layer change.

7. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    On my SR5200 it lasts for about 1 second. Can't say it ever causes me any angst. Think I might feel differently if it was 4 seconds. Connected to a Sony 725 via optical.

8. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Actually it's more like 2 seconds on the 2 recievers i've tried, sorry for the confusion.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try changing it away from "Auto" mode and putting it into DD or DTS. It won't have to autodetect then and it should be instantaneous.

Khai.

10. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Tried that, makes no difference. And there's no Dolby Digital setting unless DD is playing for some reason.

11. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I've just done a little experiment - if you pause the DVD, select dolby digital on the reciever with the left knob, then press play on the dvd player the sound starts instantly as it should! But if you pause the dvd and play it again it goes back to it's old tricks (delay). Is there a way to make it stay on Dolby Digital even when there's no signal?

12. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Just tried another experiment - plugging the spdif on the PC's soundcard output into the digital in on the reciever, and using power DVD's spdif digital out (making sure ac3 decode is disabled in creative mixer), played a DVD and voila the delay is cut from 2 seconds to about 1/2 a second! Still not perfect but since it makes a bit of a difference i'd like to try another (real) DVD player, maybe the pioneer 636 and see how it copes with that...

I'm surprised that there's problems with the Marantz DV4100OSE DVD player and the SR5200 considering they are supposed to be suited to each other, and what difference can there be in SPDIF outputs on DVD players?

13. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I hope this helps... I also got my Marantz from Sevenoaks and it had the same problem [ Delay on menues etc].
    I exchanged it for a 6200 as i wanted the extra power, i took info off this forum to store regarding delay problem and mentioned a post i read regarding the new batches having a fix. If your new amp does not have a little green sticker on back it has not had the mod done. My amp has and works fine:D

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the little green sticker is in regards to having clicking sounds coming from your rear speakers. If when playing a material with a DD stream, just press the Dolby button and you should get a DD option and it should stick to that option regardless of pausing etc. In fact, it should lock for that input permanently ... at least I'm pretty sure it does for my Marantz SR6200. I'll have a look for you next time I watch a film.

Hope that helps, Khai.

15. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sevenoaks are reluctant to let me change it again, they say they don't have any 6200s in stock and they wont have for a long time let alone one with a green sticker :( I never noticed my unit making clicking noises from the rear speakers. If it's been fixed (the delay) then why do Marantz deny there's a problem? Is there anyone in Marantz in this country that understands the problem and can change my unit for one thats been fixed? The only person i managed to speak to said it was normal and nothing can be done :(

I tried putting it on dolby digital mode while the DVD is playing but when you pause the DVD and start again it seems to forget and the delay is still there. The delay is still there if I switch the amp to DTS and play a DTS track too, the delay is the same length as if the amp were set to auto. The delay seems to be made longer by my Marantz DV4100OSE DVD player, perhaps they both have a small delay and added together that's why it's 2 seconds or so before the sound starts!

16. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lytham St Annes, where people are put out to grass
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ive just bought an SR5200 and havent noticed this. Ive watched DTS movies in both DD and DTS and not noticed any delay when using "auto", (I still get menu sound effects), no delay when there is a layer change (but then again the layer change is incredibly long on my Sony 735) or when pausing. No clicks from rear speakers either. Im connecting using a coaxial cable.

Just to make sure that my machine is Ok with the other issue being raised (being the selfish person that I am): is the clicking sound really audible? Does it happen on all films or just a select few?

Could it be that these effects appear with some DVD players and not others?

17. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That's it i'm almost definately going to get a new DVD player! I cant use a Sony because it has no RGB passthrough (or does it?), but the Pioneer DV646 seems to do everything I want...

nunew33 has your SR5200 got a green sticker on the back?

18. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I will have a look 2nite.

19. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Had the same problem with my Marantz sr7200 - loss of sound on the dvd layer change which then cause lyp synch problems

I was so annoyed with it that I have sold it and got a Yamaha - the Yam is better for movie steering also

It shows that you cannot just buy something and expect it to work - there is always some surprise thing that does not work.

20. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure where im looking, but no green sticker leaps out at me!

21. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for looking, I might try a Sony DVPNS700 DVD player as my local RS is doing them for £199 (mr), they come in on thursday and they are happy to let me try one and take it back if i'm not happy with it :) I phoned Sony and they said they do have RGB passthrough so it's worth a try I think.

22. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    My old 5200 had all the problems previously mentioned including clicking noises, the 6200 i now have is fine so the fix has cured everything i think it was a poor quality board that they exchanged.
    Cybersoga, the sevenoaks dealership you bought your amp from sound a right bunch of wan..rs... So much for paying top money in a so called caring company 2 strikes and your out policy or what.
    Ask them if you can take it in, set it up, and compare it with any of the other brands of amp on display. There sould be no delay or clicking in rears.

23. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well I took the risk and got a Sony DVPNS700 from RS today and i'm happy to report that it works fine! Virtually no delay at all (cut down to about 1/3rd of a second)! and it has loads more features than the Marantz :) i'm well happy!

Current Setup:-

Sony KV24LS35 TV
    Sony DVP-NS700V DVD player (MR modded)
    Marantz SR5200 AV Reciever
    NTL Digital TV (RGB out connected to input scart on DVD player)
    1987 Tanny Stratford front speakers
    Monitor Audio Silver 10i center speaker
    Rogers db101 used as rear's

24. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Still, it begs the question as to wether its an amp problem or a DVD problem. Does that mean that Marantz owners will have to have a website stating which DVD players their amp is compatable with?

25. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Marantz arn't going to admit there's a compatibility problem with thier own DVD players and AV recievers! It may affect Phillips DVD players too.

26. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a 5200 connected to a Toshiba 210 via coaxial for about 3 months now and have never had delay or clicking. I DO, however, have wavy lines on the s video output. Apparantly, this is put right by the mod but I'm not to bothered at the mo as I'm using RGB straight to TV. It's only noticeable when using OSG for set up.

27. nunew33

nunew33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ve noticed a degradation in image through the amp. Thought that was standard.

Whats the mod and how do you get it

28. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to send the amp back to Marantz. There shouldn't be a degradation in actual quality, but you should see "noise" in the form of wavy lines on screen. The mod does put this right.

29. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Mine doesn't have any wavey lines, it's connected to the TV via S-Video. And mine is latest stock (according to sevenoaks) but has no green sticker.

30. melvynadam

melvynadam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new SR5200 from Sevenoaks has no green sticker and has this annoying 'undocumented feature'. There's a definite silence during layer change and sound takes 2secs to come back after a pause. The layer change is very annoying but also when you move between scenes manually there's silence at the start - when dialogue is supposed to start immediately it's amazing how annoying this can be!
    Anyway, as I said my amp is new and today is the first day I've used it. I have my Tosh510 connected straight to the projector with a component cable. How do I access the OSD? There's no connection between the 5200 and the projector so obviously nothing's on screen but what connection should I use?