1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5200 - are the 6.1 inputs 'direct'?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lungfish, Sep 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. lungfish

lungfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

As the subject says - does anyone know if the 6.1 inputs on the 5200 go direct to the amps, or if they're routed through the processing side of things first?

The reason I ask is that I'm about to hook these inputs up to my Pioneer DV-656A in order to play SACDs... I don't have a sub yet, so I'm worried that I'll lose that channel entirely if these are direct inputs. With digital 5.1 input, the 5200 can be configured to mix the sub signal onto the front L/R speakers, which is great. I'm hoping it will do the same with the analog inputs.

Cheers,

Scott

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    The inputs are Direct and have no bass management etc. That would have to be done via the DVD player if it has it.

3. lungfish

lungfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, Jase.

The player does have speaker setup pages where you can tell it the usual stuff - which speakers you have, what size they are, etc.

So hopefully if I tell it I don't have a sub it will do something sensible? I guess I'd better dig a bit deeper into the manual and see if that has anything useful to say.

Probably what I should really do is go buy a sub, of course. :)

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Worth checking the DVD player smallprint as well. For some players, whilst you can set the speaker configuration it then completely ignores this for DVD Audio/SACD.:rolleyes: My Toshiba being one of the culprits as the bass management only works for Dolby/DTS.

You really could use a sub, you're missing out on a fair bit of low end grunt. Most floorstanders can't really go as low as a decent sub.

5. lungfish

lungfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I know I'm missing out - something I plan to correct as soon as I can figure out how to clear enough space in my living room to fit a sub into it :confused:

Scott