MARANTZ SR5200 and speakers question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jtorry, Dec 25, 2001.

Tags:
  1. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does this amp have 6.1 descrete and what is the general opinion of the amp. It seems to be the best priced amp for the spec. I also need to ask a question about my current speaker set up. Can you also reccomend some speakers that will go nicely with the amp to get 6.1. I need the speakers to be quite small and really don't want to spend more than £300 but the cheaper the better.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you mean 6.1 discrete by the amp having 6 seperate power amplifiers then yes it is. If you mean DTS-ES 6.1 discrete surround decoding then no it isnt, it only handles DTS-ES matrix.

Overall this is a great unit feature wise but it doesnt seem to have the same drive and slam that the SR-5000, SR-7000 etc had. This could be due to the unit being built in Korea instead of Japan.
    Sound quality is excellent as usual from Marantz. To my ears it produces a warm, articulate and musical performance for the money.

Mic

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you plan to buy small speakers (for instance the KEF eggs, very popular, and quite good), you should get a receiver with variable crossover, like the Denon 2802...