1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5200 2 second audio dropout

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cybersoga, Apr 9, 2002.

Tags:
  1. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Has anyone got a Marantz SR5200 that doesn't take a couple of seconds for digital audio to start playing in DVD menus, track changes etc? I know others have this problem but has anyone had it fixed, or bought a unit that doesn't have the problem in the first place? Or is there a work around? It doesn't bother me too much because the audio quality is excellent, and I know some other recievers do this aswell, but if it can be fixed it'd be nice.

Thanks

Andy

2. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    I am currently on my second 5200 and awaiting a third, Marantz have told me that the new ones have been modified to cure the following problems:

1) Audio dropout when playing music cd's with a digital connection (they play perfectly using the analogue connection)

2) Takes a few seconds to lock on to the soundtrack with DVD, and layer changes.

3) Wavy lines when using the OSD.

They also recommended the coaxial connector over the optical one; I will post on how the new replacement performs when I receive it.

mij

3. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I have had my SR5200 for a few months now and yes,exactly the same on chapter changes etc,but i have got used to it as the quality is just so good with this amp,for music and HC.

The delay isnt really a prob as such,its just my previous yam didnt do this so i was a little surprised,but have you tried this amp in source direct mode for DD and DTS soundtracks,if you have youll know what i mean,breathtaking.

4. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have the 5200, waiting for a replacement [6200]. Hopefully the new batches will not have these niggles.

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Using coaxial connection. I have done some further analysis and it only misses the first second or 2 of a dolby digital or DTS track when the signal is stopped and started again. PCM plays instantly, which means it's fine on playing CD's and DVD's that use PCM for the menu sound (such as Terminator 1), but most DVD's use dolby digital stereo for the menu. Since this also happens with the Kenwood KRF-X9050 and most denon recievers i'm not too worried about it, however my dad's sony reciever doesn't do it, it plays strait away (but it hasn't got pro logic II decoding and doesn't sound as nice!). I expect it'll be the same with the SR5200 SR6200 and SR7200 because they all use the same PCB (infact if you look at the inside with a torch through the top it tells you what components are fitted for each model!

Andy