Question Marantz SR5015 loud noise followed by flashing light

Syn84

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I moved into a new house (good grounding) 5 years ago with a nice Dali 5.1 set connected to a Marantz SR5009 and never had any problems with it. Because I wanted to add Dali atmos speakers and HDMI 2.1, I upgraded my receiver to an SR5015. The problem is that this receiver makes a very loud popping sound every once in a while, it really sounds more like a bomb going off tbh, and the receiver usually turns itself off, and a red light flashes above the power button.

I checked phase of the cables, I checked the connections, I ordered expensive banana plugs and used those going into the receiver instead, I used it with and without the new atmos speakers connected and it made no difference. It doesn't matter the source either, spotify connect, or xbox, the problem persists.

I even sent back the receiver to the store I got it from and bought a new one at a different shop. I set that one up yesterday and while I was playing Valhalla on my Series X, the receiver shut off with a loud bang twice over the evening.

I'm at a loss with this and can't find lead on what the problem can be. When I was waiting for the second receiver to arrive, I hooked everything up to my old receiver and had no problems. I thought it might have been a faulty receiver but surely I can't order 2 faulty receivers in a row.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try to fix it?

Last edited:
Return to shop!

Return to shop!
I did with the first one but now that the second one has the same problem the problem must be something with my setup right?

Another option is to maybe try a different brand? I'm thinking Yamaha RX-A780.

What source are you using?

Firmware updates available?

Any speaker stands with carpet spikes puncturing any speaker wires? Does sound like a short circuit protection event to me - double/treble check your speaker wiring!

Any speaker stands with carpet spikes puncturing any speaker wires? Does sound like a short circuit protection event to me - double/treble check your speaker wiring!
I will triple check and maybe even replace some to be sure (the ones that aren't in the walls) but if this is the issue you'd think my SR5009 would have the same issue right? But that one works fine.

I have hooked up my trusty old SR5009 again. I think I'll return both the SR5015's and start reading up on other brands. A shame cause I've been loyal to Marantz for over 20 years. Maybe It's time to check out a Yamaha RX-A780 or RX-A880 or something.

This has started to happen to me too, I have an Marantz SR6015. It has worked fine for 7 months but a couple of weeks ago it started. Just as described above, a loud noise/bang then the receiver shuts off, blinking red. Today it happened twice a couple hours apart.

What did you guys do?

Hello all,

I moved into a new house (good grounding) 5 years ago with a nice Dali 5.1 set connected to a Marantz SR5009 and never had any problems with it. Because I wanted to add Dali atmos speakers and HDMI 2.1, I upgraded my receiver to an SR5015. The problem is that this receiver makes a very loud popping sound every once in a while, it really sounds more like a bomb going off tbh, and the receiver usually turns itself off, and a red light flashes above the power button.

I checked phase of the cables, I checked the connections, I ordered expensive banana plugs and used those going into the receiver instead, I used it with and without the new atmos speakers connected and it made no difference. It doesn't matter the source either, spotify connect, or xbox, the problem persists.

I even sent back the receiver to the store I got it from and bought a new one at a different shop. I set that one up yesterday and while I was playing Valhalla on my Series X, the receiver shut off with a loud bang twice over the evening.

I'm at a loss with this and can't find lead on what the problem can be. When I was waiting for the second receiver to arrive, I hooked everything up to my old receiver and had no problems. I thought it might have been a faulty receiver but surely I can't order 2 faulty receivers in a row.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try to fix it?
How did it go for you? I have the same problem on my SR6015

My SR6015 just did it tonight. Bringing it in tomorrow, I'll post what comes of it. Please comment any new info on this.

The first question I would ask all of you is are you leaving enough space for the amp to vent it’s heat?

Marantz SR receivers run hot

If you have it inside anything then try running it outside if the unit

Worth trying?

The first question I would ask all of you is are you leaving enough space for the amp to vent it’s heat?

Marantz SR receivers run hot

If you have it inside anything then try running it outside if the unit

Worth trying?
I have mine on a open shelf. There is 5 in. above the avr. When mine went out I had turned it on but didn't have a source playing yet. Was sitting talking with my wife for about 30 minutes(getting readyto game ) then we heard pop come from the one of the speakers. Again the the avr was on but wasnt playing anyhthing(no sound coming out)

I got mine back from repair a couple of weeks ago, the service report from the workshop said that it was due to an faulty power supply. They replaced the power supply and it has worked fine for almost three weeks now.

I have mine on a open shelf. There is 5 in. above the avr. When mine went out I had turned it on but didn't have a source playing yet. Was sitting talking with my wife for about 30 minutes(getting readyto game ) then we heard pop come from the one of the speakers. Again the the avr was on but wasnt playing anyhthing(no sound coming out)
Same for me when it happened. Sometimes while playing something and other times while playing nothing, I also have about 5 inches of clearance above and it is placed on a shelf with an open back.

I have exactly the same issue as you have described. Marantz NR1200 running Dali oberon 5's and a pair of B&W 601's.
I have a feeling its an issue with eother the power cord or where it connects to my receiver. Im taking it in to be looked at this week. My receiver isnt even 6 months old

Hi guys, I have SR7015, and exactly the same problem. At first it would happen every once and a while but now it’s happening every time I turn it on… any news on this issue?

I have recorded it;

I have exactly same issue with my SR5015. It went back to SST last November and was repaired - no service report so can’t confirm what was actually done to it.
Role forward 6 months, and it’s doing it again. This time it only stays on for a matter of 30 - 45 seconds before loud ‘pop & bang’ and shuts down and power on lamp flashes.
Just packed it up ready for DHL to collect again for repair!
When it’s working it’s sounds great - but this is totally frustrating
Anyone else found out why?
Thanks
Graham

I had the same issue happened quite a lot , if you take a look at where the power cable goes in it’s not going in fully the pins are set back to far and not a proper connection causing it to short , loud bang flashing red light , fix get a new power lead like this from audiocrast which I did and not had a problem since

Attachments

• 4F237A74-FB4C-40EA-8152-F03CC96B0637.png
    4F237A74-FB4C-40EA-8152-F03CC96B0637.png
    388.8 KB · Views: 108
I had the same issue happened quite a lot , if you take a look at where the power cable goes in it’s not going in fully the pins are set back to far and not a proper connection causing it to short , loud bang flashing red light , fix get a new power lead like this from audiocrast which I did and not had a problem since
Good that you have found a fix for your amp.

However, if multiple users are finding issues with their amp with a similar problem , best course of action is to take it back to the dealer folks.

Chances are there is a faulty batch that has rolled of the line with either bad power cords or bad IEC power supply boards and manufacturing QC is has not picked up on the issue.

If more people complain, dealers should speak to their Marantz reps and this should get fed back up the line.

I certainly would not be buying an after market power cord as a fix - that would have to be down to the dealer / Marantz to replace, assuming that is the issue.

Could be that after Covid, QC standards may have dropped somewhat.

Bugger I wish I hadn't found this thread, have lost all hope of resolving this issue now . . . . .
- If you just found it as well, please register and inform others, how we all move forward with the problem.

Exact same crack/off from SR5015 new in Nov '20 - tried all initial things you think off HDMI (top end pre-tested cables), even got an electrician in to re-check speaker wiring wasn't damaged, correct polarity, etc. (new house was all brand new and checked out perfect), yeah I've tried it all and here I am on google finding it's a bloody known issue . . . ha! crack and off it goes in the background, how funny and sadly ironic that is, mate I am over this fault :(
- Electrician tested the power inlet on system, cord connects and works fine that's not the short in my instance as was listed earlier in the thread (might be for others not discounting it!), I'm AUS 240V.

Apologies this is an essay, 2 years of daily problems does that, don't want to bag Marantz (I'll never touch them again) need to put this here for reference to let people know IT IS a know issue and there seems to be no resolution years later for the SR5015 model.

When it works sound is faultless, best I've ever had (got a home cinema Krix system), but always . . and I mean ALWAYS . . . there's the inevitable bang/crack/pop and turns off. Seems to be worse when just turned on and then volume turned up instantly, so assumed system needed a bit of a warm up, nope, just random.

Occurs with all inputs, I've tested them all, input type/ format does not seem to matter - problem is there always. Changed the input types, eArc on/off, all the settings, wasted days trying all the sound/menu options thinking I set it up wrong.

Firmware up to date, dealer said no known issues, tried google to find this issues a while ago, sadly didn't find this thread?? . . I've been putting up with this in a hope a firmware would resolve the issue . . . nope seems I was stupid.

Teach me for not waiting for that Denon. About to google Yamaha not sure I can trust Denon again after this either. If I'm wrong let me know for sure . . if you also gave up on Marantz and moved onto something better please also let me know.

Cheers Dibbo

Damn... my 5015 did this loud bang and shit down for a couple of months on a totally random basis and i kind of got used to it, but now i got no sound coming out of it at all... not even from the headphones (wired to the front panel). I guess i had to take it back earlier.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom