Question Marantz SR5015 loud noise followed by flashing light

Syn84

Novice Member
Hello all,

I moved into a new house (good grounding) 5 years ago with a nice Dali 5.1 set connected to a Marantz SR5009 and never had any problems with it. Because I wanted to add Dali atmos speakers and HDMI 2.1, I upgraded my receiver to an SR5015. The problem is that this receiver makes a very loud popping sound every once in a while, it really sounds more like a bomb going off tbh, and the receiver usually turns itself off, and a red light flashes above the power button.

I checked phase of the cables, I checked the connections, I ordered expensive banana plugs and used those going into the receiver instead, I used it with and without the new atmos speakers connected and it made no difference. It doesn't matter the source either, spotify connect, or xbox, the problem persists.

I even sent back the receiver to the store I got it from and bought a new one at a different shop. I set that one up yesterday and while I was playing Valhalla on my Series X, the receiver shut off with a loud bang twice over the evening.

I'm at a loss with this and can't find lead on what the problem can be. When I was waiting for the second receiver to arrive, I hooked everything up to my old receiver and had no problems. I thought it might have been a faulty receiver but surely I can't order 2 faulty receivers in a row.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try to fix it?

Last edited:

wiz

Distinguished Member
Return to shop!

Syn84

Novice Member
Return to shop!
I did with the first one but now that the second one has the same problem the problem must be something with my setup right?

Another option is to maybe try a different brand? I'm thinking Yamaha RX-A780.

wiz

Distinguished Member
What source are you using?

wiz

Distinguished Member
Firmware updates available?

John7

Any speaker stands with carpet spikes puncturing any speaker wires? Does sound like a short circuit protection event to me - double/treble check your speaker wiring!

Syn84

Novice Member
Any speaker stands with carpet spikes puncturing any speaker wires? Does sound like a short circuit protection event to me - double/treble check your speaker wiring!
I will triple check and maybe even replace some to be sure (the ones that aren't in the walls) but if this is the issue you'd think my SR5009 would have the same issue right? But that one works fine.

Syn84

Novice Member
I have hooked up my trusty old SR5009 again. I think I'll return both the SR5015's and start reading up on other brands. A shame cause I've been loyal to Marantz for over 20 years. Maybe It's time to check out a Yamaha RX-A780 or RX-A880 or something.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom