Marantz SR5011 Flicker issue

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Spikeman89, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Spikeman89

Spikeman89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys.

So I seem to be having a very odd issue here.
    I recently bought a Marantz SR5010 which had previously been used, only for a short time as a tester in a magazine here in Norway and then just a demo model for the importer. So basically not used at all.
    I hooked it up an all is good. I'm playing around with settings and I notice the upscaling for 4k is own. I figure most of my source material is 1080p and I won't be using 4k at all, so why not shut it off. And so I do. Later I decide I'm gonna watch San Andreas on my projector and screen, big movie big screen right. So I notice pretty quickly that the projector isn't displaying any picture no matter the settings.. Back and forth and nothing.. So I figure make sure the upscaling is of, apparently I hadn't so I turn it off completely.
    Picture flickers a bit, I figure no problem.. Disconnect hdmi to the projector and maybe things will take care of itself, in case they were messing with the auto settings, considering the TV is 4k and the projector only is 1080p. Great.
    So I'm standing right next to my LG TV and I start noticing that there's an awful lot of snow/grains in the image. Start playing with the image settings in different places, trying to find a solution to the problem somewhere.. To no avail. Except when I turn the upscaling back on an leave it to auto (4k) it works fine, but still no projector image..

A little less worried just figured it was being moody, so I leave it as such for a few days.. Come back from work one day and I have a basically only green colors. Nobody has touched a setting and its playing with me..
    I change up the hdmi cables, try connecting the ps4 directly to the TV and the pictures is as perfect as can be.. So I figure faulty modell even tho nobody saw it during testing, apparently..

So I order a new in box SR5011, open it up, connect it up and power everything up. Nothing. Try pressing a few buttons different settings.. Nothing. Press the setup button and enter the basic setup I have picture, for two seconds. It goes black.. I piss off.. Go to bed.. Try a bit more the next day, still nothing..

A few days later I've delivered it to the workshop they say it's faulty and I get a new one. Hook it up, no picture for maybe 5 minutes. Enter the basic setup again, voila image. Everything is perfect. Bliss.

Tonight I go to watch a movie and it starts flickering a few minutes in.. And keeps randomly flickering on the left side of the picture..
    I'm starting to think there has to be something wrong with my old equipment..

Which is
    An LG 65UF772H
    PS4
    XBOX ONE
    XBOX 360
    MARANTZ SR5011
    and a different assortment of cables
    Everything worked fine before I replaced Mye onkyo with the Marantz.
    For the most part Belkin cables, one Sandstrøm (Dixons group cable, Norwegian brand) and the original Xbox cables.
    The Xbox one gave me perfect picture the two minutes I had it on one the sr5011, somewhat grainy on the sr5010 but got better when I had 4k upscaling on also.

My question is.. Faulty cables or?
    Rationally it seems so.. I just don't get it when the onkyo txnr616 work flawlessly with the same cables.. Only reason I exchanged was for the different less harsh sound on the Marantz.. I'm starting to regret it now..

Any suggestions/answers are greatly appreciated.

2. Spikeman89

Spikeman89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guess I figured this out myself.. Apparently the ps4 was sending an overvoltage and killing the hdmi board on the Marantz. Tried connecting it to the TV and all I was getting was random scraping sounds no picture.

3. Spikeman89

Spikeman89
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nix that.. Oddly enough I tried again today and it worked fine at the shop I work at but with a different TV. For some reason I could get everything to work with a Philips TV but not my LG..
    Any clues?

4. TPM1952

TPM1952
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Spikeman,

I also purchased an SR5011 in late Nov from Crutchfield. I have had the same symptoms that you describe with flickering video to occasionally a full video screen of faint stars occurring randomly when using any of the internet related sources on the unit. When it is in a failing state there are some sources that still work ok (tuner, blueray) I have exchanged the unit 3 times and still eventually end up with the same issues. The video issue will occur on multiple tvs when it is failing. (I did this as a test when it started failing on my Samsung uhd 65 inch UHD tv by plugging the HDMI cable into another smaller Samsung TV I have). Iam now in the process of returning the 3rd unit for a refund.
    When it was working I loved the sound but unfortunately I have sent the 3rd unit back and am trying to determine what I can possible replace it with.

I would appreciate it if you do find a resolution that you post it here. Thanks and good luck .... Tom

Samsung 65 inch HUD TV UN65JS8500
    Samsung UHD Blu Ray UBD-K8500
    Audioquest Pearl cables

Network connection is a direct connection using a static IP address

Calls to Marantz support were NO HELP at all.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017