Marantz SR4400 worth £200 new?

tHatDudeUK

Established Member
Reaction score
As subject. This is at Richer Sounds. Are there any other options?

TIA

Regards

tHatDudeUK

The SR4400 caught my eye too, there was also a better Marantz in RS the SR5400 but they might have all gone as I note not on thier web site.

What I wondered about was the video inputs being composite and s-video only.

I know DVD players have s-video output sockets so thats ok, but what about Sky digiboxes and terrestrial digi boxes is one forced to use composite video?

You would (if you were being forced to connect through the amp) have to use composite unless you have Sky+ which has S-Video. Generally however I would keep these connections going straight to the telly. I only use S-Video switching for my Games consoles, everything goes to straight through by Scart. The 4400 is a good product sonically with a fixed subwoofer crossover being the only niggle- I'd be able to overlook that for £200.

Originally posted by tHatDudeUK
I've also found it here. £199.99 in stock and with free delivery.

States clearly on thier link twice, that Delivery is excluded.

Delivery to be added when you loggin and order as I see it.

Oh sorry, I must have made a mistake. I'm certain I saw "free" somewhere but I concurr, add to basket it clearly states "excludes delivery". My apologies...

The SR5400 is £282.99 here with free delivery (i'm pretty certain it is this time).

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/SiteMap/av amps-receivers/Marantz SR5400 AV Receiver.asp

(Edit: Damn, another gotcha, it says +£130 for silver, would Richer sounds do the price guarantee if the printout says it's black and I'm buying a silver one off of them?)

With the richer sounds price guarantee I guess this means I can get it there at my local one for £272.99. Is the £73.04 extra woth it for the sr5400 compared with the SR4400?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

tHatDudeUK

I would think it worth the extra, give your local RS shop a go, but I think they might not have stock.
Can't see the extra of £130 for silver, seems a bit like rip off to me because silver is more popular.
I've looked at specs for them both, to me the 5400 just a little better here and there, what caught my eye was the statement on one difference 'high grade audio components'. Wonder what they have in the 4400.

Yes, an extra £130 for a change of colour. Complete rip off. I certainley won't buy from HiFiBitz if that's their policy. My local store had one on display so if they don't have any in stock I could always ask for the display one and hope to get it for a bit less.

Anyone have any experience of Richer Sounds and price guarantees? Will they accept a printout of one with the price for a black one when I'm getting a silver one? Do they look at the websites or take the printouts at face value?

They tend to take the printouts at face value, but they might check that they have it in stock, depends on how busy they are I guess.

If they do spot the price of the Silver version though, they will not back down :)

I have thier price promise in front of me.
Try thier web site for it, www.richersounds.co.uk
"We'll Beat any competitors price 'till it hurts, plus give you upto £100.
We'll also beat any internet price!"
That's the 2 main statements from it.

Originally posted by Kazman
If they do spot the price of the Silver version though, they will not back down :)

Do you mean they'll match the price of the black one?

Is it worth editing the printout to get rid of the word "black" then if they call they can say have you got SR5400 in stock, is the price £x, no mention of black then alls good :)

I guess only thing I need be concerned about if they match any internet retailer's price, is this black/silver issue. (I note that RS site says that HiFiBitz is one they match)

Many thanks for your help.

Edit: Just noticed the catalogue price for the 5400 in RS is £299.95 so not much more anyway. (sure the one on display said £349.95)

I think from richer sounds it will be the black one.

I have phoned them a couple of times regarding marantz cd players and both times for each model I was told they did black only.

The one RS have is definitely Silver and the one I want is definitely silver :) It seems looking at the catalogue that mst of their CD players are black, I guess it's because MFR's have difficulty shifting them

Yes, an extra £130 for a change of colour. Complete rip off. I certainley won't buy from HiFiBitz if that's their policy.
Steady on guys, that isn't our policy we just happen to have a good deal on the black ones at the moment because Marantz have got too many.
Its not a case of it being a bad deal on the silver one, its a good one on the black.

I could strip down the black one and buy a tin of silver paint for £1.50 ;) (would be a nasty job tho, lol)

Unfortunately your site makes it seem as though it's £130 extra to have a silver one and not that the black one is discounted.

FWIW - Just made a stock enquiry with RS on this unit and they say that they have discontinued the SR5400.

So if my local store has one on display I guess I better get one pretty quick... :)

So if my local store has one on display I guess I better get one pretty quick... :)

I too have been in touch with RicherSounds this am. but they told none in stores it is a 'finished line'.
Hope you prove them wrong, if you do find a store with more than one please advise me, particulary if up here in the north.

Regarding www.hifibitz.co.uk I tried to get them to sell me a silver one at the £282-99 black they have on the web they say opion for silver +£130.

They refused, said both should be same price, no argument with that. The web now as the same price, a staggering £399-99 !!!

well i know where i'm going if it's £299.95 :)

Only thing is I don't have all that much money so I'm not too sure whether to get it or not. I know I want to get something decent that will last me a while though and I can add to as I get more cash...

Don't PRC Direct do the unit in silver for £299?

I'm sure I've seen it in silver at a few online etailers for £299 for the silver.

Superfi might be another good place to check.

PRC Direct = £338.95
Superfi = £349.95
RS (my local store) should be £299.95 with no delivery charges

Check the back of the latest Home Cinema Choice or What Hi-Fi mags, I know I saw it there somewhere else other than RS for £299.

[RS (my local store) should be £299.95 with no delivery charges [/B]

Well as I said before hope you got one.

I think what as happened now RS have none on the internet the other internet firms have put thier prices up as the competition as gone.

I'm hoping RS get something like it in shortly.

Well went to a RS shop this pm. and got a Marantz SR5400, thier last one.
£289 inc 3 year warranty, get the warranty money back if no claim made.
(So many connections think I will be a few days wireing up.)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom