1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Marantz SR4400 as a preamp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by shodan33, Apr 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. shodan33

shodan33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

This is my first post and i am so confused as to all the pros & cons of the av receiver reviews i've been reading.

I was wandering if you would recommend me taking the path of using the Marantz SR4400 as a pre-amp and using the Rotel RM 1075 THX cert 5 channel power amps as a power source. The SR4400 is relatively cheap amp with 24 bit/192khz dacs and the Rotel amp has ample amplification at 120w rms x 5..

The reason for me choosing this path is because I was told that this is the most cost effective way of going separates with getting good quality amplification with a good quality surround circuitry decoding in a pre-amp.

I welcome all your comments on this decision. By the way I have the Tannoy Saturn’s S6 across all 5 speakers as my speaker setup. I have a home made 12 inch Adire Shiva driver subwoofer with 250w RMS redgum amplifier which I built myself and is quite adequate for subwoofer duties.

Thanks

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The SR4400 only has a sub pre-out as far as I know, so I don't think it will be possible.

3. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

You can do it with a Marantz SR4400 :thumbsup:

Why not only a separate 2 channel amp for front stereo use?

4. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    yeh just get a 2ch power amp and separately power the fronts using that. unless of course you fancied biamping and running the tweeters off the Marantz and the woofers off the power amp. Intreging although in theory different amps have different tonal characterisitcs but give it a try

Rotel make good 2ch power amps as well as Arcam, Nad etc. try www.superfi.co.uk

best 'o' luck to ya :)