1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR4400. Am I safe to put my CD player on top of it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stokie Dave, Nov 17, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As title, got my SR4400 today (brought @ good price to get into the world of AV to see if I like it and can use it as a stereo amp also, which is nice cuz it WHOOPS my NAD C320BEE!!) but don't have a stereo rack anymore, no room... Am I safe putting my CD player on top of the amp? It's been on a few hours and isn't HOT but it's quite warm I guess. Theres about an inch gap between the CD player base and the top of the amp plus theres loadsa ventilation holes... should it be fine? Winters not a massive worry but summertime in here gets toasty.

I thought I best ask the experts as I'm sure loadsa you have done similar things in terms of quick and easy placement of kit :p

Cheers all.

Dave

2. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Assuming the cd is well built I would stand the amp on the CD player if it will fit. It will help reduce any vibrations and eliminate the heat problem. It used to be recognised method many moons ago. If it wont fit, invest in 2 squash balls and cut them in half, then place one half under each foot of the CD player to help isolate it and give a bigger air gap.

Cheers, Mylo

4. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers for the reply :) I was gonna do that but the CD player isn't very deep so I don't think the feet of the Marantz will sit on it to be honest! I'll have to try but it's unlikely :( I was thinking of spacing it like you suggest so I'll probably do that anyway :)

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As you've both already said, putting it on top shouldn't be a problem. I had a similar arrangement and found it convenient to make a sort of wooden shelf to put it on (just a big square lump of wood which I painted black). This "shelf" was put on half squash balls although I've also found doorstops to work quite well as spacers - maybe even combine the two :eek:

It's certainly not the major issue that some people make it out to be as long as you're sensible about it :)