1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR4300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by creed, Jan 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. creed

creed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a Marantz SR4300 connected to a set of Mission speakers (M74, M7C1, M71) and a Mirage subwoofer, the problem is sometimes i found out the volume is too low on certain dvd, and as i understand the receiver max volume is at +18db, how far can i push this receiver to.?.

is it ok to turn the volume up to -10db.?.any user of Marantz SR4300 can lend me a help, thanks

2. creed

creed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forget to mention that the SR4300 have the range from ( infinity to +18db )

when i listen to music, at -20db is sufficient, but in certain dvd i need to crank it up to roughly -12db...is that ok for this receiver, i touch the panel and it is not too hot anyway, just warm, does that means that the source is not good enough.?.because in tuner mode, volume at -25db is quite sufficient..thanks

3. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got a SR5300 and I sometimes take it to -3 on some DVD's. I've got Mission M73 fronts.

4. creed

creed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, actually sometimes i strive for more, but i just can't convince myself to go pass -10db, my speaker level are all set at 0db except the centre at +1db...

since u sometimes go to -3db, so any ideas about this.?.is that means Marantz receiver need to crank up a lot to get a desirable volume.?.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you mean volume in terms of SPL then it can be the MIX of the DVD or similar running at +db levels for long periods is not good but at 0 for an hour or 2 while watching a film is no trouble at all. you may want to invest in some better speaker cable (depending on what you are using of course) to carry the current more efficiently.

6. creed

creed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the speaker cable i use for the centre and the rear is Cambridge 16 gauge OFC wire, while the front's wire is the DIY CAT5 biwiring, is it wise if let's say i upgrade the cable to QED Original Single wire, will i lost some quality comparing the DIY CAT5 biwring cable i am using now...

i have heard that in home theatre system, cable is less important as compare in Hifi system, people used to connect their speaker in single wire mode normally, any wire to recommend?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    QED bronze is what i use but never go that loud (technics SADX950) but Silver ann is very popular, unbrabnded will do but basically make sure it is 72 strand ish if you are going to push the AMP.
    You'll know when its being pushed too hard as current protection circuits will kick in and stop the amp dead also increase volume slowly(eg -20 > 0 over a period of minutes) and remember to turn down after use.

8. creed

creed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guy, u been very helpful, i feel less frightened whenever i pump up the volume by now...:cool:

and i have a subwoofer with high and low level, is it possible to connected both at once, so that when i listen to music, i enable the "Source Direct" function, and then the subwoofer high level kicks in, and in the movie, when the LFE mode active, it will automatically disable the subwoofer built in crossover, is this workable? because i want to get subwoofer working in stereo mode

i want to know whether it is workable, because i myself running a pair of biwire for my front speaker, and if i want to try this method, i need to get myself two pair of single wire, and i worry that after i spent the money, only found out that this method can't work anyhow...

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i think it depends on the sub, try posting in"speakers and subwoofers"