1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

marantz sr4300 problem?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by adox, May 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`ve had my marantz sr4300 for about six months now and been generally happy with it.
    however while watching a dvd yesterday a blue flash appeared from within the amp, so i thought that something had blown internally. i stoped the dvd straight away and turned the amp off. i had a look through the vents with a torch to see if there were any scorch marks or anything, but there was no visible signs of damage. i turned the amp back on again and it seems to be working fine.
    i bought it at richer sounds in dublin, which has now closed down but they have a repair man still operating in dublin. so i gave him a call and explained all and he didn`t have any idea what happened, but said to just keep using it for the next few days and see if it was ok!
    can anyone shed any light on this? i know it`s fairly vague information i`m giving but i am a bit worried that my amp might be sick and will indeed die in the not to distant future.

thanks

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Does sound like a transient short circuit,and given your amp's current health,may have been due to dust allowing arcing to occur between 2 high voltage areas.
    Having said that,if it's still under warranty,it would be worth having it checked and cleaned out internally to ensure it doesnt happen again....my Krell's have to have their fans cleaned occasionally to remove dust build up.

3. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply. can this cause any long term damage, and is there anything i can do in the future to stop it re-occuring?

thanks again

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Assuming thats what it is.....if it was under warranty I'd advise at least discussing it with the manufacturer in the absence of your original dealer.
    If not,then having a look inside is another option,but only after it's been disconnected for a good length of time and disconnected from the mains.....most av amps have fairly reasonable power supplies,capable of giving you a nasty jolt for a considerable period of time...when cleaning out my amps,I ended up leaving them overnight before opening them as the supply capacitors can quite easily kill.
    I really would recommend trying the warranty route first....much safer in all respects!

5. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alexs2,

thanks for your input. i`ll get in touch with marantz and see what they say on the matter.

thanks again for the help