Marantz SR4300 Overheating - External fan?

Chris Faulkner

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have recently bought a S/H marantz reciever, its tucked away nicely in my TV unit but its rather snuck and after a couple of hours overheats and turns itself off. I'd rather not move it as it sits in there very nicely and there's no where else to put it.

I don't think the amp has its own fan so I was thinking about rigging up an external fan to flow some air in from the back of the tv unit, i was planning to use the amps switched outlet to ensure it only runs when the amp is on.

Has anyone done something similar? If so can you recomend a fan? Obviously needs to be something quiet.

Thanks,

Chris

20140619_222918.jpg

Attachments

• 20140619_222926.jpg
    20140619_222926.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 91
Have recently bought a S/H marantz reciever, its tucked away nicely in my TV unit but its rather snuck and after a couple of hours overheats and turns itself off. I'd rather not move it as it sits in there very nicely and there's no where else to put it.

Is it not possible to put the amp in the upper compartment, and the other kit in the lower compartment ?

The amp should have at least 2 inches clear gap at each side and above it to allow natural air convection to cool it adequately.

Removing the back panel of the compartment would also help with cooling (as well as making cabling easier !)

Sadly not, the top shelf has a metal bar underneath it which the amp will not fit under.

Will try removing the back panel on the compartment and see how that goes.

Sadly not, the top shelf has a metal bar underneath it which the amp will not fit under

I've had a similar situation and have removed the 4 feet from the bottom of the amp and substituted a couple of 'non-slip' pads (one above another) at each corner.

This has allowed the amp to JUST fit under the metal bar, but has not compromised the cooling of the amp.

I've had a similar situation and have removed the 4 feet from the bottom of the amp and substituted a couple of 'non-slip' pads (one above another) at each corner.

This has allowed the amp to JUST fit under the metal bar, but has not compromised the cooling of the amp.

Ok thanks, I removed the back panel form the TV unit last night so the back the amp is completely uncovered now. However after a couple of hours running it still felt just as hot to the touch.

I will check to see if the amp will fit on the top without the fit, otherwise I think it will at least be easier now to have a simple cooling fan at the back to help move some air around.

If you go the fan route I would use a fan to draw air out the back of the cabinet above the amp rather than blow air in.

Well it seems like the problem is getting worse, I've since added a couple of fans and now a third larger fan but the amp is only running for less than an hour before turning off.

I pulled the receiver out of the tv unit last night and still it last only 30 mins or so, It didn't feel hot at all so I'm thinking there must be something wrong with it? The only thing I've changed recently is to add a 6ohm pioneer center surround speaker.

Does anyone have any further details on how the thermal cutout system works or how to check it? Or if not any good hi-fi repair shops near oxford?!

20141216_195924.jpg

I added a slow 120mm fan to the top of my Onkyo (resting on rubber feet) and it sorted this out.
A low noise fan run at reduced voltage does the job nicely.

Well it seems like the problem is getting worse, I've since added a couple of fans and now a third larger fan but the amp is only running for less than an hour before turning off.

What's the ambient temperature in the room ?

If the air being drawn in by the fan(s) is already 'warm', the fan can't really do much in the way of cooling the electronics.

And don't forget that the fan will need a space both infront and behind it (as big as the diameter or the fan, I'd suggest) for the airflow to establish, otherwise you'll just have the fan rotor turning, but no throughflow of air.

What's the ambient temperature in the room ?

If the air being drawn in by the fan(s) is already 'warm', the fan can't really do much in the way of cooling the electronics.

And don't forget that the fan will need a space both infront and behind it (as big as the diameter or the fan, I'd suggest) for the airflow to establish, otherwise you'll just have the fan rotor turning, but no throughflow of air.

Room is fairly average for this time of year, around 20deg I would say, perhaps less.

I currently have 2 80mm fans fixed to the back of the unit which blow air in across the top of the unit. (They have at least a foot of empty space behind them). Then a 120mm sat on the top of the receiver blowing air down into it. (Have tried it the other way up so its sucking air out and makes no difference)

I tired using the receiver with it pulled out of the unit as shown in the picture (albeit with no fans) and it still won't stay on for more than an hour. This is with very light use and when the unit turns off its not even remotely warm to the touch.

I'm going to pull it out the unit completely tonight and sit it on the floor to see what happens then.

Well I tried it again tonight as in the picture below, no fans but receiver pulled out completely.

Turned on but with volume completely down it lasted about 30 mins before switching off. Tried a few combinations of fans after but none any good.

I think there must be something wrong with the receiver now?

20141218_222414.jpg

Hi, going back a bit, but wondering if you found a solution to this?
I have the same amp, has always been fine but recently started doing the same thing, no change to location and ambient temperature...
Thanks

Hi, going back a bit, but wondering if you found a solution to this?
I have the same amp, has always been fine but recently started doing the same thing, no change to location and ambient temperature...
Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.

Think you may be waiting for a reply the member hasn't visited AVF since 2014.

As amps get older they get dust build up on the inside and this can often lead to overheating safety shutdowns when they had previously been trouble free. You could try running a cleaner over the top of the grills to remove some of the dust.

If you feel brave then open the unit up and blow away any dust build up being very careful. Other than that you could try a professional repairer to have a look and clean it for you, basically servicing it for you. Personally I would go with the latter.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have opened it up and removed some dust (I work in IT support so am competent with that, but not the electronics themselves) and also improved the ventilation, it was somewhat better last night, only cut out once for a couple of seconds.

I'll get a compressed air can from work and give it more of a clean and see how that goes.

Like the original member I am wondering if something is wrong with it, and possibly repairable, as the usage and surroundings haven't changed.

It was second hand, so doesn't owe me anything, but I'd like to keep it going :)

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have opened it up and removed some dust (I work in IT support so am competent with that, but not the electronics themselves) and also improved the ventilation, it was somewhat better last night, only cut out once for a couple of seconds.

I'll get a compressed air can from work and give it more of a clean and see how that goes.

Like the original member I am wondering if something is wrong with it, and possibly repairable, as the usage and surroundings haven't changed.

It was second hand, so doesn't owe me anything, but I'd like to keep it going :)
If you feel it's financial viable then have a competent repairer have a look at it. It may cost you to get an estimate and if anything is found wanting you have to weigh that cost against a new unit. Unfortunately it's a bad time to look for new amps as their price is remaining stubbornly high when you would expect prices to start dropping certainly at this time of year with Denon and Marantz models.

Hi Craig,

I'm afraid I never got to the bottom of it. I took it to a hifi repair shop in the end and whilst they could replicate the fault they weren't sure of the exact problem. They suggested a few components to change but the bill was going to be at least £100 with no guarantee of success and as that was more than I paid I gave up and sold it for spares or repair.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom