1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR4300 + KEF Cresta's

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PauloWesley, Jun 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. PauloWesley

PauloWesley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello ! :)

I have a Marantz SR4300 receiver and a pair of KEF Cresta's 1 + KEF Cresta 20c.

The sound looks flat and hollow and the higher frequences not very bright. The music lacks life.

May be this is because the Cresta's, so I'm thinking fo buying a pair of good floorstanders like B&W 602.5 or Monitor Audio Bronze B4.

Am I right thinking the fault of a so boring sound is the speakers fault? Shoud I get better speakers and of a diferent brand or this will unbalance the sound because of the Kef's?

How can I get more pleasing - more alive - sound?

Please help!

Thank you in advance.

Paulo.

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Paul,

I don't understand what you've done, but my Cresta speakers (Rear Surround, and front centre) sound fine.

The surrounds are set on small, and the fronts on Large.

Need more info to work out a solution ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

3. philander

philander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may also try mission speakers, if mission gives enough justice, then the montior audio will do more.

4. PauloWesley

PauloWesley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I now have 2 Kef Cresta 30 fronts, a kef Cresta 20 Center and 2 Kef Cresta 1 rear. The 30's seem to have very little bass and the sound seems hollow. I'm confused because the Cresta 1 have more bass than the 30 and they are much smaller. Overall, the sound lacks life and punch. Will a subwoofer help?

Thanks!
    Paulo.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    It may not be the speakers or the amp what are you playing the cd's on?
    If it's a dvd player then that's probably the major cause. Try and borrow a half decent cd player from a mate and see how that sounds through your amp and speakers.
    A sub would certainly help in the bass department with both films and music but so would a designated cdp , integrated amp and or a speaker upgrade.
    Speaker cable and interconnects all contribute to the sound of a system if your using cheap and nasty cables then you might want look to upgrade these also.

6. PauloWesley

PauloWesley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Hawklord :)

I'm using a cheap Denver 172 DVD palyer. The cables are Supra Classic 2.5 and profigold (scart and coax).

7. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Seems to be an inherent problem with the base model Marantz amps, they lack muscle. Sound is quite good through my M73s, but I always feel that the sound is overly relaxed; lazy if you like. It doesn't have quite the commitment and impact of the higher models in the range. A small sub did help, but I plan to upgrade the rubbish Yamaha to something that the Missions can't dwarf at higher volume levels.