1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR4300 - Advice, problems and potential bugs???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Neiliboy, Aug 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

As per my other thread i finally bought an SR4300 yeasterday for a bargain price of £200 courtesy of Richer Sounds.

I read the whole manual first before setting it up and i thought it be very daunting but it was actually a doddle. When it was finally set up i was very impressed with the warm and powerful sound this amp was creating in comparison to my old Sony.

However i did have a few problems which id like your advice with because i may have to return it if the problems persists.

1. The front left speaker emits a very quiet 'crackling' sound every few minutes. Its not noticable with the action scenes but it is very noticeable in the quiet scenes. I have checked connections and setup but it all seems fine.

2. How do i change the source input via the remote properly?? I find i had to keep pressing the 'amp' buttoin first, and even then it wouldnt switch until the existing source was switched off. i.e if i was watching a dvd and wanted to switch to sky i would have to press 'amp' followed by 'tv' and then it would only switch once i'd turned the dvd player off. If i stand up, walk to the amp and simply press the button its a doddle - but not via the remote.

3. Im sure there is a really quiet hiss when the amp is on.

4. Every time the scene from the dvd comes on the amp takes a good 2-3 seconds to come into play. so i would see the picture first then 2-3 seconds later the sound would actually come out (no lip synch probs though). Any way to adjust the delay??

Many thanks for yor help and advice - if anyone else has had any similar problem i would love to hear about them.

Thanks

Neil

2. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In response to the 1st query about the crackling. This is a shot in the dark but are you using quality interconnects and speaker cable? I remember I was having the same prob with my stereo setup and I upgraded the interconnects and the problem was no more!

Just a thought.

3. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep - im using Ixos cables and Cambridge Audio Interconnects!

Neil

4. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    There is indeed a slight hiss on these amps it seems, i get it but its only when im really close to the speaker and the amp goes very loud i actually hear it, so no problem , maybe yours is a bit worse?

The delay you are talking about has always been on these amps, well from the x200 series at least, i had a 5200 last year and the delay on that was about 4 seconds, now have the 5300 and the delay is still there ,but down to under a second so doesnt bother me one bit.

Surprised to hear you have such a long delay as this should of all been sorted, they should be all modified before they hit UK shores, you can tell by looking on the back where there should be a little green sticker to indicate its had the mod done, have a look, its on the serial number sticker, also on the box.

5. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Ricky,

What if it hasnt been modded? Will they (RS) do it for me?

Neil

6. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK i had a look and didnt find any sticker anywhere?? You reckon i should return this amp???

Neil

7. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    Yes , return the amp and try and get a unit with the little green sticker on it, then you know it should be a good one, im surprised to hear un modded units getting through to customers. The sticker is only a small dot but clearly visible, mine was on the box serial number and back of amp.

8. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This amp is now doing my head in. Reason??

I cant seem to change the source input via the remote.

Am i doing somet really silly? or am i missing somet really obvious??

I can change source input from the amp buttons fine but it just wont do nowt when i try and use the remote. I know the remote works because it controls the volume fine.........

Pleease help!

Neil

9. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    It should change the input if you press it twice quickly or hold it down for a second or two

10. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally!!!!!!!

Cheers Ricky i appreciate that.

Ive decided - gonna return the 4300 and upgrade to the 5300 - RS knocking them out for £249 now - and its in Gold, the color i wanted in the first place!

Neil

11. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the SR 4300 back to RS and ive paid an extra £50 to have the SR 5300 it sounds absolutely amazing!!!!!!

Set up a doddle, no crackling sounds from the speakers. Anyone know what the 'PEAK' LED means when it keeps lighting up??

Neil

12. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PEAK means your input is too high, I get this on my Analogue DVD feed for CD playback but not through the Digital input.

Usee the ATT button on any peaking feeds to use the Attenuator to drop the level a little, the good thing about this is that it remembers which input mode it's used on - hence it's only on in CD mode but not DVD/TV etc. :)

I have one with a 1.75 sec decoding delay (bought in may), just decided to live with it in the end - was enough hassle to get one in the first place! There are also people who've had a green-dot version and still had the delay, so my advice is to try it in the shop - they're too blimmin' heavy to take back!

13. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Luckily this one doesnt have a delay......I just wish i could get a gold one though but hey beggars cant be choosers!

Neil

14. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought my SR4300 yesterday from RS. They had been waiting for a new delivery. However mine does not have the little green sticker anywhere!!! Is it possible that I have an older version? What signs will I look out for?

15. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Set it up first and have a good listen. Every time you play a dvd or change scene on a dvd, see if there is a delay for the sound to come out. If it is irritatingly long then i suggest you take it back. If your'e happy with the sound then hey presto you got a bargain!

Neil

16. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Blue Harvester, if you don't have a sub, make sure you can select your rear speakers to "large". There is a bug in some (all?) 4300's that only gives you the option of setting your rears to "small". I had 2 SR4300's like that and eventually got it swapped for a SR5300 which works as advertised. Marantz confirmed that there was a problem and I know other users have reported this.

If you do have a sub then its not really a problem because with "sub=yes" selected, you can set the rears to large or small as you require.

17. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The SR4300 seems to be more hassle than what its worth. I only bought it because I had read a large number of reviews all of which could not praise the reciever enough. I wonder if the reviewers noticed the problems alot of people seem to be having?

18. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I wouldn't say it was a lot of hassle. There are two distinct areas where there may be a problem.

Firstly the delay thing which is also there on the 5300. It doesn't really bother me. When I play a CD it starts the first track about 1-2 seconds into the song. If you stop the CD and restart, it plays it correctly.

Secondly, the rear speaker thing is only a problem for people like me who don't use a sub. If you don't use a sub and your 4300 has this problem, take it back and use the defect to negociate a good deal on a 5300 like I did.

19. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True.

Dont listen to the likes of us scare mongering! Its probably more than likely you have a decent machine which wont give you any grief. I certainly now have.

Anyway, as i said before - have a listen and check everything. If its good then no problemo!

Neil

20. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my SR4300 set up and I'm very pleased with it. However I don't have a sub. When I go into the speaker setup on the menu, if I set the Sub=NONE, the SLR can only be changed to either SMALL or NONE. However when I set the Sub=Yes I can then set SLR to either LARGE, SMALL or NONE. I take it this is a bug?

I don't really understand the whole surround speakers being small or large thing. Can someone explain?

21. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes that is the bug.

Normally, setting speakers to large means that they get all the bass sent to them. Setting to small usually means less bass because it is going to the sub.

I'm really surprised that Marantz have not sorted this. Most SR4300 owners I've spoke to say their amp does this. If you don't have a sub then I'd say it was a problem and I would think you should get it sorted. The SR5300 does not do this so its definately a bug.

If they can't fix it (and I don't think they can) try getting it swapped for a SR5300.

22. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe it's not a bug, maybe this is the way it's supposed to be? Is there anywhere on the web that mentions about this problem, other than these forums? I can't seem to find anything when I google?

23. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Its not like that on its predecesor, the SR4200. Its not like that on the SR5300. I spoke to Neil Gill, the technical manager at Marantz UK who confirmed that it shouldn't do that.

Its a bug :(

24. Neiliboy

Neiliboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well.........

One week on and im downstairs watching True Lies on ITV 2 thru the Sky digibox. Have the amp on DPLII and i must say that im am extremely impressed by the 5300 now.

Ive run it in nicely - even played a bit of DVD audio (free dvd-a that came with the dvd player) and it sounds superb.

If anyone is thinking of parting with £250 then i really recommend this...........

Neil

25. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it def is a bug then.

I intend to get a sub for my system soon, so the bug will not really affect me then, and everything else with the reciever is perfect, hardly any time delays when moving from chapter to chapter, and above all else I'm astounded by the sound quality. Overall I'm really happy with it. So do you think this bug warrants a return to shop?

26. paulus

paulus
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well if you are getting a sub then as you say there isn't a problem except that you have bought a product which doesn't have the full functionality that you paid for.

It was a problem for me because I didn't intend to buy a sub in the near future. I was faced with the choice of a full refund or an upgrade to a SR5300 for an extra £50. As I had got the SR4300 for a really low price, I didn't want a refund so I paid the extra £50 for the SR5300.

I was really happy with the sound from the SR4300 and I didn't think I would notice any improvement with the SR5300 but I was wrong. It definately sounds nicer and I've got no regrets about buying it.

Perhaps you should try a similar approach with your retailer. Tell them that you can't set your rears to large. Tell them that you have spoken to Marantz and that they confirm that there is a problem then suggest that you might upgrade to the SR5300 if the price was right. You have got nothing to lose.

Good luck.