1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR4200, test tone for sub not working?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mandlebrot, Apr 12, 2002.

Tags:
  1. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have owned my Marantz SR4200 for about 3 months now and have been very happy with it but only had the 5 speakers and wanted a sub. Today I bought a Paradigm PS1000 sub, on setting up I started the test tones on the Marantz but no sound come's from the sub when the test tone is supposed to be outputting the sub test.

The sub works fine has upon listening to audio and video material I get all the bass I could want from the sub, so the sub works and of course the amp is outputting the bass to the sub in normal operation, but for some strange reason nothing when in test tone mode, any ideas?

:confused:

2. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    the test tone you get from the sub channel is very low because it is a low frequency,if you turn it up you can hear it.

3. baldicoot

baldicoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My SR4200 does exactly the same thing with the test tone - the sub is definitely working fine, but I can only hear a faint subwoofer test tone if I turn the sub volume up almost to max. Not really a big problem, but it is a bit annyoing. Do any SR4200 owners out there get a nice loud subwoofer test tone? :confused:

4. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gave it a try and had to set the volume on the sub to max and the 4200 volume at -15 before i got a decent tone,drove the wife nuts:mad: with the volume of the test tone from the other speakers though.

johnski

5. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did the test again and can just hear a very faint sub test tone.

6. Army Bloke2

Army Bloke2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 5200 and find the subwoofer level in general to be very irregular. If I use the internal test tones to set it up, the LFE is very quiet. If I use the Ultimate Platinum DVD, the LFE channel is very high. I have had to find a happy medium.

Here's the method I used for setting the levels in case anybody's interested:

1. Go into the set up menu, channel levels and turn all the levels down as far as they will go.

2. Go int test tone, and turn the master volume up so that it reads 0 on the front panel.

3. Run the test tone through each speaker (including the sub), and, using an SPL meter, bring all the levels up to 75db. In theory, this is setting volume level 0 to 75 db, which is THX reference level.

4. When you have finished setting all channels to 75db, lock them off and TURN DOWN THE MASTER VOLUME TO AT LEAST - 30!! Otherwise you will be in for a shock.