1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MARANTZ SR4200 popping sound problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jtorry, Apr 5, 2002.

Tags:
  1. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had my marantz for several months now and while I am happy with it I am getting anoyed by the sound seeming to drop out or pop. This occurs very irregularly and on both DD and DTS. Is this a problem with the amp or could it be a problem with speakers/connections?

2. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    If you have it on auto it will take a half second to suss what's going on (what mode to play in DD/DTS/ETC), if you are playing a perticular mode then set it to that first, if it still happens then Marantz will fix it for you.

If it's happening half way through then there is something wrong and you need to return it, otherwise good choice.

3. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it happens at different points throughout films and will make the pop about 20 times during a film. I have it on auto and know that at the layer change there is a small sound dropout while it detects what input it has. So you think it is a problem?

4. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is it pops from changing between DSP modes (from the amp) or popping from the speakers ?.

5. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the speakers just pop randomly

6. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What kind of speakers do you have and what cable - also do you loose all sound or just hear a pop poise ?.

7. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the speakers are teac branded and were £150 for the set. All sound goes off for a brief moment.

8. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You need to get the amp changed mate as this sounds like a big problem, the only other thing you can check is your connecting between the DVD and the amp, is it opyical or digital ?.

9. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it is just coaxial. I have a 3 year cover with RS so replacement/fixed should not be a problem

10. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    coax tends not to do this but digital can if you fold it in half !, if it's done this since the day you got it then get it changed mate - sounds like you've got a dodgy unit, stereo will be ok but it still sounds like it's shacked as it shouldn't do that sort of **** to you.

Best bet is to talk to RS as they are going to be aware if they have a bad batch.

Don't be put off though as it's a good bit of kit.

11. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll contact RS tomorow. Thanks for the help

12. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did you get on with your amp, did you get it sorted etc.

13. 7 of 9

7 of 9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have got a marantz sr4200 aswell i have it for about 2 monts now appraxmatly.
    im very happy with it, but erregurrly i get a strange loud crackling sort of noise from my right surround speaker but when i get this problem if i just replay the bit of film i get nomal sound. and while whaching scream suring the seen at the end with the boys confessing everything and stabing each other, i got the pound from my centre for a while, only for a few second it went from loud but i could still hear everything to quiet and nothing, this is the first and only time i have had this problem so far.

apart from these little niggleses im very happy with it, there isnt anything wrong with any of my equipment and dont want to change or take any of it back. :cool: ;)

14. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Similar problem.

Watching Airforce 1 (R1 Superbit) with DTS selected. The Marantz was set manually to DTS and connected via coax (Chord Codac). I stopped the film just after the National Security Advisor got executed and went away to do some other stuff.

Came back about half an hour later and pressed play. Now my right surround speaker was making regular popping noises. Stopped the film and pressed play again. Popping continued. Manually switched the Marantz off DTS to another setting and then back. Lo and behold, everything's fine. Oops!

Looks like a fairly fundamental flaw with the Marantz. Methinks I'll be taking it back to Richer Sounds PDQ. Bit unfortunate especially as the sound when it works is great.

Tried it again just before posting this, got the same so it is repeatable :(

What type of soundtracks did other folks have selected, DD or DTS?

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Could you enlarge on the above please.

16. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well lets see, sorted out some dinner, loaded up the dishwasher, wished I'd remembered to buy a lottery ticket usual kind of Wednesday evening stuff.;)

Oh yeah, then thought "I wonder if my SR4200 has any problems..." and voila!

17. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am not the bearer of good news I'm afraid. I've got the 7200 (well not at the moment) and it showed similar symptoms, only it was affecting just DD 5.1 DTS etc was fine. The sound from the speakers was horrific. Substituted a borrowed DVD player off a kind friend and the same thing happened proving the receiver to be at fault.

Took the receiver back to the shop in the middle of February (bought it in October last year)...............and still ain't got it back!

The Marantz service agent the shop uses have been unable to fix it and to cut a very long story short, Marantz have finally agreed to supply me with a new one, only after they tried to fob me off with a repaired "B" model instead. I hoping the replacement will be here next week as there's supposed to be none in the country.

Good Luck

Dumfy

click here for further info..

www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30250&highlight=dumfy

18. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I contacted Marantz and asked to speak with a suitable individual. The nice lady who answered said that she would ask their European product manager to give me a ring when he returned to the UK which should be today.

Seems a bit high-powered for dealing with a simple customer fault report, I wonder what the deal is here?

Also contacted Richer Sounds service department who maintained that they have not come across this and that they would have to get some information off Marantz.

RS were quite happy for me to either have:

a) A full refund
    b) A repair (with a loan machine in the interim)
    c) A replacement

However all of these have various drawbacks:

a) Leaves me withut a machine.
    b) Will Marantz be able to identify & repair the problem?
    c) How do I know the replacement won't have the same problem?

I'll probably end up going for option a) but I'd like to hear from Marantz what the issue actually is. It's a shame because I quite like the sound.

19. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine too. I noticed it very early on in its life (Nov 01) but it has occurred so rarely that I have come to terms with it. I too think it is related to (a) DVD (b) DD5.1 (c) pause (d) rear channel.

20. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The weird thing is some people seem to have the problem with one format but not the other, eg I noticed it with DTS, but not with DD.

Of course maybe if I went though the same process again with DD I might find the same thing occurs.

21. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Okay the latest instalment of the popping saga is as follows.

Marantz never returned my call from last week (Boo! Hiss to your customer services) so I got back onto them again this morning.

This time I got to speak with someone in the service department who knew about the issue.

He revealed that it's due to a duff component (although he did express surprise that I'd only had the unit for 9 days) and said that modified/fixed units could be identified by a green sticker on the back (presumably of the unit itself).

I confirmed that mine did not have this and asked him to arrange getting a replacement machine to the relevant branch of Richer Sounds.

Now to be honest it sounds to me like Marantz should be taking a more pro-active approach in this, although I guess they don't want the accompanying negative publicity. They should really be issuing a recall of the units, but my guess is that they're only replacing them where people complain. Maybe it's cheaper that way, but I wouldn't have thought it would do their image any good.

22. steve1

steve1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hello just to let you all though there was a problem with the first batch of sr4200s it only happens normally in dts on my 4200 but after fowarding and pauseing a film in dts mode a clicking noise begins to appear out off the rear right speaker . the only way to stop this is to switch to dd then back to dts ive been on to marantz about this but they didnt want to know its a pain in the butt as well that clicking noise

23. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sounds like exactly what I was experiencing.

According to the gentleman I spoke with in the Marantz service department (Greg) the situation is that:

1. There has been a known issue with the other models for some time (5200 and higher).

2. The issues with the 4200 are a relatively recent development (as far as they are concerned) meaning within the last 4 to 5 weeks.

The root cause of the problem with the 4200 is a duff IC (integrated circuit for non-techies) so in essence some kind of chip.

The problem with the other models (at least one of the problems cos I know there are reported issues with the OSD on some models) is supposedly down to a faulty capacitor.

With regard to the 4200 they don't know when the modified units will be available in the country. I want a date because I want one of them (yes even after this I'm still prepared to stick with Marantz) although my patience is wearing a little thin.

24. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    HI

Do you have the contact details for that Marantz chap - telephone number perhaps

I have a SR7200 and have popping on the layer change sometimes

Thanks

25. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Contact number for Marantz is: 01753 680868.

Gentleman I spoke with was called Greg.

Good luck.

26. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I have had a phone call from sevenoaks my replacement amp is ready to collect, hope these niggles are cured.
    Ive changed my 5200 for a 6200, i will post what its like.

27. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Further news.

After contacting Marantz again, their UK product manager (Neil) answered and said that the issue was a known one. The story is that some components operate fine on Euro voltage (approx 220) but with our 230V they kind of die. Oops! Products not exactly properly tested then before being shipped.

Apparently modified units should be arriving in the UK in June, and the replacement components are available at Marantz service centre(s) for those owners who wish to get their units repaired.

Modified units will have a green mark on the outside of the box. Neil was surprised that I knew about the green mark on the boxes, he said I was "remarkably well informed". I explained that Marantz and their various AV units with niggles had been plastered all over various newgroups and websites. He said that was something that Marantz wanted to change. ??

Subsequent to this I contacted Richer Sounds to see what they could offer. I asked how long it would take to get the unit repaired, their response was a couple of weeks.

Bearing in mind that the modified units should be in the UK by that time I said I'd prefer a refund. The chap in RS said he couldn't do that. When I mentioned my previous call to the shop in which I'd been told that I could either have a refund or a repair, he backed down. Of course mentioning the Sale Of Goods Act may possibly have had something to do with that as well.

One interesting comment he made was that he was aware of a similar problem with some of the Denon units, specifically the 1602 and the 1802. Anybody care to comment on this?

28. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I have had my 5200 replaced with a 6200 and it has the green sticker! Just trying to bed it into system. All is ok regarding popping etc but i am finding amp very bright [soundwise] some dialog seems painfully high pitched so i am going to change cables and possibly digital lead, any suggestions? one other thing has anyone noticed the mains plug being unusual, seems to be a 2 pin plugged into a three pin adapter, is this normal for Marantz gear [ i bought from Severnoaks]. The amp is otherwise excellent.

29. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Hi martian,with your new amp.do you still have a slight delay when the amp trys to detect the digital signal.

I have one of the original amps and havent had any sound dropout probs but wondered if the new ones still had about a 1 to 2 second delay.

Sounds a bit alarming about the high pitched sound your getting.

30. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed a similar thing with my 6200. Mostly dialogue from my centre is hissey. "lotsss of exagerated esssess in the sssspeach".

I figured this could be my centre but maybe not. I also noticed that it is worse if you have the centre set to small and the subwoofer set to yes. I have my centre on large and sub to no. (don't have a sub).