Marantz SR4200 or SR5200 as a processor?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by AOD, Oct 16, 2001.

1. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I thought I had it all figured out, and then a helpful chap @ Sevenoaks threw me.

Let me explain. I want an inexpensive box that offers DPL II and has pre-outs across all channels as I have collection of off-board power amps (Rotel RB 970s).

The speakers are all Kef (Q50s, Model 100, Q85s) and the sub is an old M&K active job.

I had decided on a Marantz SR4200 which are in pretty short supply at the moment and gave one of the Sevenoaks shops a ring.

Success in that they do have them in stock, however when the chap asked what speakers I would be using them with, he advised that I should consider the 5200 model as a minimum.

Is there really that much difference between the two models? I know the 5200 offers 6.1 with a single extra rear channel, but I'm not too bothered about that per se.

Should I spend the extra for the 5200, or as a pre-amp/processor is there nothing between this and the 4200?

2. jasbyuk

jasbyuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the SR5200, and not having heard the 4200, I cant compare, but the sound that came from it was amazing! At the moment im lacking a center speaker, but it really came through well the four speakers I do have. DPL II is much better than Pro Logic too.

I first considered the 4200 but after reading the spec and asking around, I was glad I paid the £100 extra.

-J

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the 4200 didn´t have pre outs... :confused:

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Its got preouts across all the channels which is why I was considering it in preference to one of the cheaper Denons for example.

Check out the following link for a good description of the facilities:

Avland SR4200 Page