1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR4200 and LFE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by michaelab, Feb 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The Marantz manual is pretty vague about speaker & sub settings so I have a question (if anyone knows):

If you set your main (front) speakers to "large" and sub to "yes" will it still send the LFE channel to the fronts or only to the sub?

Clearly if you say you don't have a sub then it will send the LFE channel to the fronts (assuming you've set them to "large") but I just wondered if saying you had a sub would change that.

For me it would be ideal if the LFE channel only went to the sub since I have the sub connected by the lo level connection to the sub output and by the hi level connection to the front speaker terminals (because I also use the sub for music, where the Marantz does not come into it). That way the sub would still be backing up the main speakers for low frequencies in the front channels and also be doing the LFE thing.

And one more thing - it's not explicitly stated but the Marantz manual implies that the (fixed) xover frequency for bass management is 100Hz - can anyone confirm this?

Michael.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't help you on Point 1, but the Crossover is indeed fixed at 100 Hz :).

3. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have any issues connecting the sub up to two feeds at once ? - I was told not to do that (can't remember the reasoning).

4. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Nope - no issues really. In fact MJ Acoustics recommend it in their support FAQ:

The only problem I have is where to set the xover (on the sub). I currently have set at about 50Hz. For music and LF movie content that goes to the main speakers that's no problem, however, if the LFE channel only goes to the sub output (and not the main speakers) then I'll be losing any LFE content above 50Hz. I suppose given that, it would be better if the LFE channel did go to the main speakers aswell, allthough if it did then there would be very little point in using the lo level connection to the Marantz at all, I might as well tell it I don't have a sub and just let the sub do all the bass management.

I might see if an e-mail to Marantz tech. support will tell me anything...

Michael.

Michael.

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Michael,

The TAG does the same, so I lose info between 50 and 80hz on the LFE channel...

I don´t really notice it, did you when you visited me?

6. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    No :) But I doubt one would notice until you had it working and then took it away again. I can get around the problem by telling my Marantz I don't have a sub and just let the sub do all the xover work. In your case I think it's because of a bug in the bass management of the Tag :) (becuase presumably you have the xover on your subs set to max because the Tag is doing all the xover work).

In this respect Rel has a neater solution which is that the crossover setting just doesn't apply to the lo level input, only to the hi level (allthough this has other disadvantages eg if you wanted to use the low level input with just a stereo system).

Michael.

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can set the REL to apply the internal xovers, (separate values for low and high), to both inputs or only high level... :cool:

8. tomtomtoo

tomtomtoo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry for butting in but on same amp SR4200 how does it do for blueray disks IS it only doing an ordinary job for instance on true hd or lossless or dts hd as opposed to 5.1 dolby digital or dts surround thanking you in advance