1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz sr4200 amp ..... NEED info

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mr_fantazmo, May 30, 2002.

Tags:
  1. mr_fantazmo

mr_fantazmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey peeps!!

I'm new to the whole AV game and have a few questions that i hope will bw answered...

Firstly, and forgive me for being stupid, but what does my lfe attenuator do on my marantz amp? I see the term lfe being thrown round a lot!!

Secondly, i have noticed that people with the same amp as me the marantz sr 4200 only have their vlume upto -10 maybe less, i put mine upto +5 (granted the walls are shaking) should it be this high? Have i set my speakers up wrong? Or am i just destined to make my ears bleed?

I would be graeful if anyone could shed any light, no doubt i will have a few more questions in the not so distant future!!

Cheers!!!

2. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mr_fantazmo, god +5 you are either deaf, mad or have something wrong with your setup. I have had mine a 0 but not for long -10 seems plenty loud enough for me. Do you have to have it that loud for all devices e.g. tv, dvd etc or just the dvd?

Its my understanding that the attenuator throttles down the sound to lower levels so the lfe attenuator should in theory block the bass from reaching certain levels, I may be wrong on this though and will check it out tommorow.

3. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was under the impression that the LFE attenuator facility allows you to tweak the output to your subwoofer given that some material gives the bass a bit of a lift.

I think the most notable offender was some DTS software (there's bound to be more here on the site if you search for DTS & LFE) that in comparison to DD 5.1 would boost the LFE by 10dB.

This allows you to "tame" the bass if you like, without having to totally re-calibrate the sub output level.

4. Ron240

Ron240

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    Unless you live in a detached house in the middle of the country,you will probably be featured on the next Neighbours From Hell programme on tv.;) :D

5. 7 of 9

7 of 9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i own a marantz sr42oo aswell, excellent amp great and amazing sound on music and movie material, to answer ur questions firstly: the lfe attenuator turns the volume of the lfe to stop it from interfering with sound from speakers, the normal attenuator does the same thing but instead of just turning down the lfe it turns down everything.
    secondly: at this volume u could be breaking ur equipment all depending on what equipment u have