1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR4200 a bit gutless?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alextgreen, Jan 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Got mine for xmas and I *swear* it was louder than this when I took it out the box. Goes from -62 to +15 and a calm listening volume in stereo is -20. Might be brain out the window, but I could have sworn I was using -35 to -30 when i got it rigged up.

Spec is as follows:
    Marantz SR4200 reciever
    WharfeDale DVD 750
    Sony MDS-JE440
    Mission M73s front
    Mission 70C1 centre
    crap Eltax rears
    Yammy YST-SW005
    all digital interconnects (except to PC)
    QED silver anniversary Biwire

Only recent change has been addition of a sub and fitting banana plugs to all speaker connections on the amp end. The connections are far cleaner than they were previously. So tell me, is this my amp being odd or has anyone else found their 4200 needs a good kick to get it going? Once up it's plenty loud enough for me, just takes a while to get there.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    may just be a function of the volume pot...some are linear,some logarithmic....as long as it satisfies your noise needs.....doesnt matter if it goes all the way round...like the amps wired to go to 11 on a scale of 10 for Spinal Tap :cool:

3. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may be experiencing problems with your mains...actually I'll re-phrase: you may be noticing problems with your mains. If the voltage being delivered to your area drops at certains times of the day (very likely, read Russ Andrews booklets on the subject), your amps power delivery capabilities are lessened, hence the amp achieving less sound at the same volume.

Just a theory, and something I personally suffered from, before I went down the expensive 'mains purification' route to cure it...

4. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't think theres anything wrong with you amp. Most Marantz owners find that anywhere from -18db to -10db is plenty loud enough volume wise for films depending on the source material. For Stereo -30 to -20 for me again depending on the source material. It's just the way the Marantz range is.

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    If you go into the amp menu, you will see that now you have a sub fitted and activated the .1 channel, the other speakers have probably changed from LARGE to SMALL, hence the need for more power for the same volume.

6. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Speakers are set to large, apart from the rears, which are physically small. Mains should be OK, only low drain stuff on it's extension, gamecube, dreamcast and a phone.

My volume level seems to be the norm so I guess I'll stick with it. Ta.

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick suggestion - if you can, plug your phone into another, ideally dedicated, socket... mains powered phones/answerphones put a ton of spurious noise onto the mains and running it off the same extension as your amp isn't a great scenario.