Marantz SR 8500 and 4 ohm speakers

D

drmax

I have just purchased a Marantz 8500 which is 125 watts X7. I purchased 3 speakers from SNell Accoustics. Here's the issue. The speakers are 4 ohms and the Marantz is minimum 6 ohms. The rears are 8 ohms and the other two channels won't be used. I spoke with Marantz and they said I'd be okay, but I'm concerned. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated

if you don't push Marantz so high with volume that might be ok.

I don't think it will be a problem. I've used a Marantz SR9300 with 4 ohm speakers without issues - the Marantz amps are pretty good and never displayed any problems with the load, even at pretty high volumes.

If you still have doubts, or if clipping occurs, you can always add Marantz monoblock amps for the front channels. The MA500 is pretty cheap and rated at 4 ohms.

not the same amp but i had the same problem. i have some dynaudio audience 52s which are 4 ohms, i bought a yamaha rx-v1500 which i found to be rated at 6ohm min even though i asked the shop if it would take 4ohm when i bought it to which they said it would be ok, i also phoned yamaha and they said it would be fine and will drive them no problem just set the amp to 6ohm and at times i have pushed it and there has been no sign of any problem.

I have no reservations in stating that the amp will be fine.

I only have reservations with difficult loads on entry level receivers.

I agree with Harry, it will be absolutley fine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom