1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR-8000 or Denon 3801 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nickoff, Mar 20, 2001.

Tags:
  1. nickoff

nickoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do people think the 3801 with it's extra amp channels is a better bet than the sr8000? (using 50/50 ht & music).

Is the ex, es thing just a selling gimmick or is it here to stay? In Australia we seem to miss out on DVD's encoded with the extra channels - so far (we don't even get much in the way of DTS titles at this stage).

I am concerned that Denon have packed in the extra amps at the expense of sound quality (can it really do 100w x 7???). Is 7.1 so much better than 5.1 ?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently upgraded to a 3801 and I have got to say that I have been nothing but impressed with its capabilities with movies and music alike.The decision to purchase this reciever was not taken lightly,and given the high spec I don`t think any thing on the market can touch it.The ES/EX capabilities are by no means gimmicks and certainly add to the atmosphere of movies,while the DTS-Neo feature is great for watching analogue sources(my vhs copy of Star Wars never sounded so good).All in all a very safe and future proof reciever.
    Dave Moran.

------------------

3. pauld

pauld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I can say is that I have owned my 3801 for around 4 months and it never ceases to impress me. The sound quality is superb in both movies and music and the difference between 6.1 and 5.1 is stunning when set up correctly.
    I use the extra rear surrounds on all the time , even with normal 5.1 software and enjoy the additional channels. Some of the purists will cringe at this but I know other 3801 users also like to leave the rear centres on all the time.
    I can recommend this amp very highly.