1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz sr 7500 satelite over infcous x1 Connection problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jazzman, Mar 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello all especially Kazzman who was one of the people who influenced me on my receiver buy.

I just got my Marantz sr 7500 (a beauty) since my speakers are on the way i had 2 speakers at hand which i connected to my receiver and listening to everything on stereo. (for the moment)

However i could get the video transmitted to my PJ, eventhough i made the connections as per manual and enabled the video conversion.

My receiver is plugged to the pj by component out on monitor in (vesa)
    my dvd is progressive scan so there is no problem when it comes to dvd watching however i cant get my satelite dish or the receiver to transmit the image.

I know that the pj will not accept 480i over the vesa input.

Can i convert the satelite signal into 480P or something greater does it make an improvement on the video image meaning converting the composite video which is entered on the receiver and sending the video imate by the component/vesa cable that is entered in the monitor out of the receiver.

Or do i have to run another cable if i were to use the composite monitor out it works but the quality of the compsite video is not as good as the component as you all know.

I am pretty sure that it does video switching and conversion at the same time.

But sitll do not know how to do it

Some help will be highly appreciated by anybody especially the SR 7500 guru KAzzman.

all the best
    Kerim
    :lease:

2. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hello people again i just spoken with the marantz distributor in turkey about the conversion thing they told me that i does convert the video from composite to component but not to 480P therfore it seems like i am going to have to connect my receiver to the pj by component in (over the s-video adanpter) and use the progressive scan capabilities of my pj and turn off the progressive scan on my dvd player. Is that true.

i have to say i am pretty new to these technologies and i thoght it did convert or up convert the signal.

Any comments and info will behighly apprecaited.

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi Jazzman, congrats on your purchase :).

Basically going to repeat what the guys at Marantz said. Yes, the SR7500 can upconvert a signal from composite to component, but it won't convert an interlaced signal to a progressive signal. As for the video switching, I haven't really made use of this feature myself yet so am not an expert with that functionality....yet :D

I'll have a browse of the manual tonight for you and report back. In the mean time, if anyone else has the answer to hand, please feel free to reply.

4. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks a lot kazzman do you have an idea if the sr 8500 does it btw?
    Its not that necessary its just that i have to find some bnc to rca converters since the neds on my component cable are bnc on one end and rca on other side :(

thanks again

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I'm not sure it does either, I think you will need to get into the very high end to allow for progressive upconversion, the Yamaha Z9 does it I believe and so does the new £4,000 Denon, as they both have progressive scan chipsets, but I don't believe anything in the same class as the SR8500 or SR7500 have this feature.

I could be wrong about the SR8500 though, it may have it as part of its HDMI feature set.

6. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

thanks a lot kazzman

btw about that review on what home cinema do you have it around ?
    İ would love to peak on it its a shame that we do not get what home cinema in turkey and basically only what hi-fi it is not a bad magazine at all but you know they dont have any close relations with marantz ;) :rolleyes:

7. Menelaos

Menelaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since the manual for the SR7500 and SR8500 are the same and there is no mention of converting from interlaced to progressive, I dont think the 8500 is capable of doing so.

Greetz,

Menel.

8. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If you want component interlaced on your X1 you'll need the adapter. Also depeding on your DVD player the de-interlacer on the X1 might be better than that on the dvd player.

I have everything routed through my yammie 2500 to the X1, but as i don't have any progressive sources i've not had a problem.

If you want to use progressive from your DVD and interlaced from everything else your gonna have to have them connected to the seperate inputs of he X1. I.e progressive into the D-sub VGA port and interlaced through the S-video/Component connection. Ultimatly this would mean no video pass through from the amp.

Two things you could do,
    Have progressive going through component to the X1 (into the d-sub) and use S-video for everything else. As component up-conversion does no increase quaility, i.e. s-video will still be s-video quality when it comes out just will be traveling over component cable.

Or get the component -> S-Video cable and run everything through the amp and interlaced (with component from the amp into the conversion cable at the projector end). The farudja chip in the projector will take care of the de-interlacing.

9. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thank you gazbarber,

well my dvd is a pioneer 575 soon to be upgraded to a marantz dv 6500 to match with the receiver (not 100% sure). I wonder if the x1 faroudja does a better job then the progressive output of the 575. What do you think ?

When saying that the upconversion is not improving quality do you mean that i will still get the video quality of a composite cable even if i run it over the amp with a component cable and use the component to special 7 pin svideo adapter that i bought from infocus ( at the same time i will have to turn off the progresive scan capability of the dvd player i assume) .
    I might be a little naive i thought the receivers were braking out the colours coming in from the

I did have the adapter but unfortunatly the end of my component cable was bnc and the adapter supplied by infoucs only accepts rca therfore i just got out and bought some connectors to convert my bnc's to rca's.

well to sum it up it looks like i am either going to run everything over the component video cables to the svideo input on the x1 hoping that the faroudja will do a good job with the progresive conversion and not use my vesa port in the mean time i will be running the satelite through the amp over the component cables which will allow me nothing more then not using an aditional cable. If it doesnt improve the pciture quality.

since my satelite receiver doesnt even have an s-video out i think it wont do me any good on sending the signal by composite to the amp and send it back through a second cable to the s-video since it doesnt change the quality ( thats assuming that i will run two cables meaning this time using the progressive scan of the dvdplayer by using the vesa adapter )

I would love to know if igot it right :rolleyes:

and if i god it right what shall i do ? :lease:

I just got out

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    You can get a RGB -> component (and posibly to s-video) converter, so you could get component from sky that way. I think some sky boxes have s-video out but if your's doesn't i guess your out of luck on that front.
    The de-interlacer of the X1 is ment to be good, but you could do a comparision to see if you notice any difference, thats if you have the component->s-video adapter still around.

The picture quality it's self will not be improved (as the receiver can't magicaly add visual data) but rather a conversion is taking place so the colour (and other information) will be split to fit down the component cable.

Through a projector i find composite very fuzzy and soft, where as component is far sharper, i currently use a Phillips DVDR80 (DVD Recorder) which takes in RGB and outputs Component (interlaced) and i put this in my reciever which then goes to the projector.

As the RGB -> Component converter is usualy about £100 :)eek:) it might be worth seeing if your new DVD player has RGB in then you could maybe do a similar trick, if not it could be an excuse to buy a DVD Recorder :). Either way i would try and make sure you can do it (as i might have got a lucky fluke).

11. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    [thanks a lot unfortunatly it seems like the dvd player has only rgb out not in ?

does anyone know a good multi media dvd player who can play dvd audio and cd with a certain quality as well ?

i have two satelite boxes at home i am going to check both of them they might even have an svide out who knows (turkish people do craz things time to time )

all the best

QUOTE=gazbarber]You can get a RGB -> component (and posibly to s-video) converter, so you could get component from sky that way. I think some sky boxes have s-video out but if your's doesn't i guess your out of luck on that front.
    The de-interlacer of the X1 is ment to be good, but you could do a comparision to see if you notice any difference, thats if you have the component->s-video adapter still around.

The picture quality it's self will not be improved (as the receiver can't magicaly add visual data) but rather a conversion is taking place so the colour (and other information) will be split to fit down the component cable.

Through a projector i find composite very fuzzy and soft, where as component is far sharper, i currently use a Phillips DVDR80 (DVD Recorder) which takes in RGB and outputs Component (interlaced) and i put this in my reciever which then goes to the projector.

As the RGB -> Component converter is usualy about £100 :)eek:) it might be worth seeing if your new DVD player has RGB in then you could maybe do a similar trick, if not it could be an excuse to buy a DVD Recorder :). Either way i would try and make sure you can do it (as i might have got a lucky fluke).[/QUOTE]

12. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hello gazbarber and kazzman,

what does a converter actually do does it convert it eventhough my scart output on the tv box doesnt have component over rgb or do i have to have that option on the scart output.

And will it convert it to 480p or just 480i

thanks guys

13. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I beleive it will just convert it to 480i, as RGB is related to component, it probably just splits the colours and adds the appropriate clock sync signals. RGB is interlaced normal i believe, so a scalar would be required to turn RGB or any interlaced signal into a progressive one.

14. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

thanks a lot gazbarber for this and your pm the quality might have been mediocre probably due to the dvd not the x1 may be i tried the first thing that came to hand from my rack and it was rocky 2 probably a not so good dvd i just put in my Steely dan dvd "the making of aja" and the picture was pretty good sometime when i have the time i might call in a few people in the house and do a side by side comparaison and see if everybody unanoumusly agrees.

On the other hand i just found a switcher or an adapter of which one side is rgb and the other side is s-video and composite i tried that one by connecting through s-video to the av receiver for the image only leaving the audio cables on the composite and the picture got pretty bad much worst then composite colour saturation all over the place .

Probably it was either a bad s-video cable or/and bad adapter or just something that is not to be connected that way.

After all the satelite connection over the composite and through the comonent cable in to the 7 pin svideo is not unwatchable i might later run an individual cable throug a converter to the s-video and use the progressive scan of the marantz sv 6500 over the vesa if there is significant difference between the faroudja chip set and the progressive scan capabilites of the dv 6500.

thanks for taking the time .

Personal question ? is your last name Barber btw and does it have any relation with a scotish clan (maybe your ancesters)

regards
    :lesson:

15. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    No idea, about the scottish link, but it is indeed my surname.

16. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    mine is barbur which was barbour but changed due to pronociation in turkish. after my great uncle who lived in switzerland had made a serious research with a researrch company we came out to be scotts a clan called barber which came to middle east when the crusades were done etc etc ... well the research goes back more then a few hundreds years

thats why i asked
    hehe

17. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Nice, good to know I might have some heritage :)

18. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    we might even claim some shares of barbour and burberrys what do you think ;)

19. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If i could benifit from th Charva 'culture' then i would truely be happy, although moraly depressed. With reference to burberry.