1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

marantz sr 7400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by abnett26247, Jan 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone please let me know if this is a good buy? it is available it seems for a much better price than most for its spec,concerns ive read here it runs too hot /sound drop outs, :lease: i think it may be due to be replaced? i would like this for surround sound and for sterio music as well , ie ive read marantz is pretty well the best for music.?one other thing i have some mission m5ds redy for rear speakers BUT if i want to use these for surround music i have been told i wiuld be better buying say 4 speakers the same 4 Tannoy mx2 speakers the dealer sujested to go with the marantz 7400 receiver also sujested a big tannoy sub sb 15 its massive but half price at £225, would all this hang together im new to all this , any help on this starting withthe receiver then if it will marry well to the speaker options or what have you ?will save me much worry and concern before i pays me money, abnett26247. : :confused:

2. wildone

wildone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There are a lot of happy 7400 owners on the forum (I'm one of them) - any problems the amp had were apparently fixed after the first production run (IIRC there were more problems with users in the US). The 7500 will retail around the 700 pound mark initially but the 7400 can be had for nearly 300 less if you look around. There may be a few more bells and whistles on the newer model (DVI inputs for a start) so you'll have to compare features you consider relevant. Can't offer opinions on speaker matching but look out / search for Tons of Fun and Kazman postings - they will provide more guidance.

3. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    DVI switching is only on the 8500, not the 7500.

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The dealer is right in saying that same brand speakers are more beneficial for multichannel music.

The SR7400 is a cracking amp, not sure about the Tannoy R-Sub15 though, it is a wallowy thing and you can do much better for the money. I would suggest a nice tight sub like the BK XLS200 for about £279, or the well performing MS309 for about £215 if you shop around.

As for speakers, it depends on budget, the SR7400 is good enough to drive some fairly high quality units. They run great with the Quads that I currently use, but, if you want a cheaper alternative, then the Wharfdale diamond 9.1 package at about £500 would be a good buy, and this includes a sub too I believe.

If you tell us what kind of budget you have, we can help you more :)

5. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I second all of what's been said above. I use the SR7400 with the BK XLS200 sub and Mission 77 series front speakers (L,C,R) and it sounds great. These Missions are of a similar price standard to the Wharfedale's that Kaz mentions and there was a noticeable improvement in every aspect compared to my old Denon 1802 receiver.

6. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all replys, kasman says the tannoy is a wallowy thing? can you clarify please kasman,! can you say youve heard it please? its now reduced to £ 179 so seems a bargain it weighs 75 pounds so must have some decent bits in there maybe ? and made by tannoy, i would really like to know if you listened to it set up well and in what system please kasman?, wanted to use it with the Marantz sr7400 or maybe denon 2850 or maybe yamaha 750 0r even 1500 ,many thanks abnett26247 (OH SORRY PS .) i can get for £140 4 new tannoy mx 2 speakers and a new big tannoy saturn centre also new for £ 80, to go with the tannoy sub 15 ,but if its wallowy and your sure about that ill have to think again maybe.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I heard the Tannoy at an RS store, can't remember if it was Watford or Milton Keynes, was a while back now. Admittedly, it was on the shop floor (as their demo room was turned into a stock room, how things have changed!! :rolleyes: ), but I did a side by side comparison with an Eltax Sub 10" sub. The Tannoy definitely shifted some air, but it wasn't tight or controlled at all, I was quite dissappointed, as I was thinking of buying one.

If you must have a 15" subwoofer, the Servo 15 is a MUCH better buy, there are always people selling them in the classifieds, if you put a want ad there, then you may get lucky.

If your budget is limited to around the £200 mark, the MS309 would be a better buy. BUT, I must add that these are just my opinions, you may like the sound of the Tannoy sub, so always a good idea to get a listen, everybody has their own opinion. Nothing wrong with those Tannoy speakers though, but they will limit the benefit you will gain from the SR7400, as it is capable of driving much higher quality speakers.

EDIT: A better sub would be the Mission 7AS, I believe hyperfi have some for sale at a bargain price, and there have been some happy buyers, I believe the sub was originally around the £700 mark, and they are selling it for £149.99 as an ex display model (they probably won't have any ex displays left though, but will more than likely have boxed stock for about £50 more).