Marantz SR 7400 Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by howard0625, Jun 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. howard0625

howard0625

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I just bought a second hand Marantz SR 7400 AV receiver. As my home theater setup is not ready yet, hence now the receiver is hook up in stereo(2 channel) mode only.

Below is my current connection configuration:

CD Player(analog out) -->(analog in) Marantz SR 7400 (Main speaker Pre Out)--> 2 channel Power Amp --> Speaker

Upon playing the above setup than more 10 mins, the marantz show a red color wording which frigtening me, it is "PEAK".

Extract from Marantz user manual
    "PEAK indicator
    This indicator is a monitor for an analog audio input
    signal. If the selected analog audio input signal is
    greater than the capable level of internal
    processing, this will illuminate. If this happens, you
    should press the ATT button on the remote."

I dont understand why this problem would occur in Marantz 7400, I have been playing the music most loudest at -20dB only. Any marantz owner or expert can let me know what is really happening for my amp? Should I send for repair since it is still under warranty? I got no problem on continue playing more than 30 mins but I dont know if the marantz can last or not.....

How can I prevent this problem?(except attentuation the source signal to half as suggested in the manual, I believe doing that will degrade the sound quality) Is this problem caused by a faulty amp or the marantz itself all the while got this problem? Anyone else of the marantz user experienced this problem before? If this is happening frequently, will it spoilt the amp?

Thanks for any input....

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    It's not the amp that is at fault I think you'll find. The signal the cd player is sending is too high and the receiver is letting you know that it is too high. If your cdp has the facility to lower the "volume " of the signal sent then I would do so otherwise you might have to use a digital cable to your amp if your cdp has one. This will use the amps dac rather than the cdps though so depending on which has the best dac could give you better or worse sound quality.
    Sorry for the un-technical terminology but I'm sure someone else will be along to help and give a better explanation:)

3. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. It's probably the CD player. Try plugging in a different device to where the CD player used to be connected. Let it run for a while, and see if the peak indicator lights up. Try a walkman or DVD player, for instance.

4. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If you put the Marantz in source direct mode it should work fine (and sound better as it's bypassing the digital processing). I get the same 'peak' light with my Nad C542 if I want the Marantz (SR7300) to do any bass management. Luckily, I prefer using source direct and having the fronts handling the full range signal.

5. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Marantz cd7300 and had a 5400ose for a day. It 'peaked' straight away even on low volumes. Needless to say with a significant hum and muddy sound it went straight back. Personally, I think the quality of Marantz has dropped.

6. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an SR5400 and never had a problem with peaks. I've used a number of different devices with it, including a DVD player, mini-system, computer, TV, iPod, all without getting a 'peak' indicator. I still think it's the CD player....

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I also believe it is the CD player, I have a Marantz CD5400 and a MArantz SR7400, and the peak light does flash now and then, but only on very loud pieces of score.

I use a digital connection now anyway, so it doesn't affect me anymore. I still have the analogue connecters in place, so might do a check tonight on whether adjusting the CD player output makes a difference.

8. howard0625

howard0625

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guy! The problem solved with source direct mode. Yes, it happened to analog signal only when the signal itself volume is too high. Therefore, even you played the songs very soft also doesnt matter cause it is the analog input from source making the problem. Using source direct now, couldnt be happier over its stereo performance.