1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz Sr-7300 or Denon 3802 dilemna

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Japers, May 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Japers

Japers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All!

Having researched this all in much detail, I had decided to buy a Marantz SR-7300 amp to go with my Epos M12 speakers and build up to a suround system. I found one for £450.

This was until:

1) I found out that the SR-7300 had some hissing problems. I have searched threads but cannot find anything conclusive that says whether this problem has been solved or not?

2) I found a Denon 3802 on special offer for £500

Basically the most important factor for me is standard stereo sound (good old CDs!). Both have had excellent reviews although I have seen the odd contradicting bad one for the Denon's sound. The problem is that I am not sure reviews are comparing like for like as the Denon is a price range above (£200 more list price) than the Marantz.

I know it's a very subjective question but any recommendations as to sound quality gratefully received!

Cheers

jp

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    AFAIK the 7300 still has the high pitched problem, not hissing. I would suggest you try the NAD T752 or Pioneer 1011.

3. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Japers,

Try the Yamaha RXV - 1200 which alot of people seemed not to demo when looking at the Denon and Marantz i personally found it better it 2ch. They can be had for £500 at sevenoaks go and have listen you will be suprised.

Cheers

Ravi

4. Japers

Japers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ravi, on their website the 1300 is listed at £700 I think which was over my budget but maybe they have some 1200 in store.

Daneel, I was originally tempted by the 1011 but was unable to find a review anywhere. Anyone know where I can find a review on it? I will have to go and listen in store...

Thanks!

5. Ravi 123

Ravi 123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Japers
    Try and get a demo of the nad t752 £530 from hifi bitzs its one of the best sounding receivers for under a grand in stereo take my word for it.Also if you buy from hifibitz you get a no quible return for the first 14days so if you dont like you can easily return it which some dealers hate to do .
    Gonzo.

7. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    IMO the hissing problem has been completely overblown - i expect it depends on the listener but i can't hear it until i'm less than a metre from a speaker. Also, if music is your primary concern there is absolutly no hiss what so ever when in source direct mode which sounds fantastic with my ageing Yammy 493 CD player via analogue connections.

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You are right, it isn't hugely obvious or loud, but once you know it's there, sometimes you think you hear it even when you don't.

Source direct only makes the problem go away if you are using an analogue input, so for most people this means it will always be there for DVD. Headphones are the worst with which the sound is annoyingly obvious.

I wouldn't have minded so much if Marantz had admitted and fixed the problem. Instead they said it fell within spec and so they didn't have to do anything about it. That's a terrible attitude IMO and mine went back, at a cost of 20% to me I might add. That sound just ruined what is supposed to be a pleasurable experience.

9. Japers

Japers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after listening to a few systems, comparing prices and technical specs I opted for the Pioneer 1011. I decided that I just didn't want to take a risk with the Marantz.

It arrived yesterday and is really excellent! Sound quality is unbelievably better than my old amp :clap: .

I still have lots to set up but many thanks to everyone for their tips and help :smashin:

Now my system is fairly well balanced and I can stop spending money.... no, wait my central spea....... ;)

Cheers

jp