1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz Sr-7200?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jefflim3, Dec 22, 2001.

Tags:
  1. jefflim3

jefflim3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a pair of mission782s, a infinity alpha centre, and mission 700s as rears also a Kef 20B sub. I am using a Teac Ag-d9300 Av amp which is not very good, so i use a marantz sm6100sa power amp to drive my mains and send signals to my sub.. so i REALLY need to upgrade my amp, is the marantz SR-7200 advisable?http://www.avforums.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif If not is there any other Av amps at that price or lower that any of you guys out there can recommend me.. thanx for taking time to read... your reply and advice would be greatly appreciated.....:confused: oh i also use a pioneer dv-535k

2. tinytok

tinytok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi JeffLim,

Are you a singaporean ?

I think your speakers setup is okie.

And that Changing to SR7200 will be a good idea if you can affort it.

I've just setup my SR5200 with so cheapo Rogers speaker and sub. This machine is precise with the sound. Like the Dobly II settings and 6.1 stereo settings. I would like to input more on the Direct source, but my mains are very poor in bass. Hence can't input much.

For the SR7200, it is support a few other things like CS6.1 but i think the SR6200 is also the same but lower watt ratting. Anyway, try to get as much technical specs on web before going for audition as sales in singapore will promise every feature and they just want sales.

3. jefflim3

jefflim3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi tinytok,

Yes, i am a singaporean, hey, thanks for your reply. It is very mmuch appreciated. so your 5200 sounds good huh? Does it have dts-es p-logic2
    whats the wattage?

thanx.
    jefferson

4. tinytok

tinytok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it sound good.

The wattage is only 85 WPC if i'm correct.

One of the magazine rated the SR7200 of only 29 watts but power rating is not everything. Trust your own ears.

I was, at first wanted to get the Kenwood 5050. as i listen it with rogers speaker, it sound good in both music and AV and it is at 140 WPC.

But later, i think that i wanted something with Dobly Pro-2 and also banana jacks terminal. So i base on specs, got the SR5200 which also supports 6.1 sourround.

Two days ago, while i was playing a pirated Jurassic Park 2, when the T-REXs visit the control truck, it was suppose to make a grunding sound, but the roger sub couldn't take it and went into distortion. It was making like "bloop bloop" sound.

So my next upgrade would be a good sub at around S$600. My current 5.1 setup cost only S$600 for the speakers and i've add on a PSB Mini Centre from Merdeka for S$99 for rear Center. I can tell you, the PSB is having a much better sound then the rogers LS330 did(http://www.wokeehong.com.hk/rogers/english/rhome.html).

Whats your setup now ?

5. jefflim3

jefflim3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My setup is still the same, i wont be changing my teac av amp, probably next year febuary, cos i dont have the cash yet. You said that a mag rated the SR-7200 at only 29 wpc... are you sure or were you talking about the SR5200?

So you are gunning for a sub huh? hmm i think my Kef-20b is about $600 brand new,( you can go try it) its not bad 70watts
    but i think it is enough or only a small and medium rooms, anyway i place my setup in my bedroom.What about you? I 've got to get one of my speaker cables fixed cos cos one of the plugs got bent. If you know the prices of the rest of the marantz models do let me know too.

6. tinytok

tinytok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi jeff.

The distributor advertise them as S$788 for the marantz SR5200. The Rest i am not sure. I've got the 5200 for S$680 from Raffles Audio.

About the 29WPC for 7200, i've read it in here or in newsgroup. The magazine is stereo sound and vision i think. Anyway wattage doesn't mean a thing sometimes.

For your sub, where did you get it ? I'm planning for a REL but i guess would be end next year as i've spend this year bonus on PC things.

What DVD are u using ? I'm having the Samsung M208.

7. siwatkins

siwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a 7200. I've seen the mention of the Sound and Vision article, and comments that it may have been a faulty unit. Certainly it is capable of driving my Linn Keilidh fronts and Kef Cresta centre & surrounds to ear bleeding levels, so I suspect that the faulty unit hypothesis to be true.

My view of the Amp is that is the best thing since sliced bread. Incredible value for money, and priced very agressively by Marantz. It is a very high quality amplifier that would not disgrace itself in any system - I use it for both HC, and for stereo music. It has a source-direct mode that when driven with a decent CD source is simply sublime. I'm running a Marantz CD6000ki Signature CD Player through it, and it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up in pleasure every time I listen to it :)

There are quite a few differences between it, and the the likes of the 6200/4200 etc. It has a Crystal DSP chip and 192/24 bit DACs unlike its cheaper brothers. It also has component inputs, a much better remote control (the RC1200) and of course, higher power.

I love mine to bits, and in the short to medium term, the only thing I envisage that I might replace it with is the soon to be released in the UK, 8200. But that is going to be quite a bit more expensive, and sonically, I feel no need to do so. It's just a neeeeeeeed thing :)

If there is anything specific you'd like to know about it, let me know.

Simon

8. jefflim3

jefflim3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    thanks for the advice, anyway do you bi-amp your speakers? cos i was thinking of doing that as i already have a marantz sm-6100sa power amp. The question is do i have to use the same cables for both the high and low-frequency, cos i currently have a pair of AFA spk cables which came along with the 2nd-hand pair of mission 782's( for 800 singapore $(300 pounds), (450 u.s), ) So, thats besides the point, i was thinking of selling that pair of cables and buy new pair of speaker cables to biamp.