Marantz SR-6200 - Clicking sound - HELP!

A

arnthelene

Hello!

I have just bought the Marantz SR-6200. I have some questions I hope you can help me with.

1. The receiver outputs a high "clicking" sound when I for example change between sound from the DVD to sound from the tuner. Or when I change beetween the TV or VCR. The same high clicking sound can be heard when I turn off the receiver.

What's wrong?

2. The volume starts on -75DB. To acheive a reasonable output I'll have to go up to -35DB. To play music as high as I'm used to I have to go up to -20DB. And I can asure you that I do not play so very loud. It is nothing wrong with my ears :) I have checked! The music do not come alive. It's like the music stays inside the Mourdant Short speakers.

I have the same setup as I had before I bought the Marantz. I had a Onkyo receiver. The output was much better and higher.

Is something wrong with the receiver?

Best regards,

Arnt Andesroed
Norway

Is the clicking sound coming through the speakers or is it in the amp itself? I think a quiet click output through the speakers when changing input sources is normal and to be expected.

As to volume levels, it depends on the source ovbiously but for music I usually listen at around -30dB if I want to keep it low and around -20dB to -15dB for proper listening. I use the analog input for my CD player.

For DVDs -20dB is 'quiet' and -15dB is what I usually use allthough this can get very loud in some scenes - eg the incredibly long gun battle (after the bank robbery) in 'Heat' which I watched last night - I was almost expecting armed police to turn up outside my flat :D

btw I have a Marantz SR4200 which has less power than your 6200. My speakers are Tannoy MX3 fronts, MX2 rears and MXC centre. Both music and movies sound excellent.

Michael.

The "clicking" sound come from the speakers. The same high clicking sound is heard when I turn off the receiver.

Is it normal?

I think a single 'click' when you switch input sources or when you turn on/off the receiver is reasonably normal, but not if it's very loud. Also of course you shouldn't get clicking when listening to music or DVDs !

The receiver itself makes two fairly loud clicks internally when you switch it on or off - I'm guessing that this is power relays and this is also quite normal.

Michael.

I have a SR5200 , -20db’s is plenty loud for me especially using DTS which I find to be slightly higher in volume

The other day I knew her in doors had gone out so I stuck in Jurassic Park 3 and watched Scenes 5 and 6 (plane crash and T-Rex V Spino battle) at –10db’s just to see what it was like , I thought the windows where going to come out of their frames.

I have M72’s speaker package and a eltax a10 sub

Michaelab read your post on listening to Heat, I have the 6200 and find the soundtrack flat as a fart on this disc. Gunshots etc are muffled unless i switch "direct mode" on, i find since getting this amp it can destroy a half decent soundtrack even though the likes of LOTR and Saving private Ryan are excellent on it. Very strange!
I find using direct mode gives the dynamics to soundtracks i like although i dont think this mode sould be used for movie soundtracks. My other amps would not let you do this ...but then they never needed it like this amp seems to
:confused:

I only get a loudish click when turning amp on or off.. Quite normal.

Using the Source Direct mode on these Marantz receivers sets all speakers to large and sub to YES. Unless you have highly capable full-range mains then you should not use this mode at all. On my system, the whole bottom end drops away using this mode. Setting the speakers to small, all bass to sub and crossover to MAX yeilds far greater results than the direct mode on my system. Heat sounds amazing though my 6200. Perhaps you do not have your systems calibrated correctly?

Heat sounds pretty good on my SR4200. The big gun battle scene is amazing! LOTR is even more impressive though.

I've been wondering whether to use source direct mode or not aswell for DVDs (I use it for CD playback and it's a significant improvement there). I have full range speakers all round and no sub (not necessary with my speakers IMO) so from the bass management persepective source direct wouldn't be a problem for me (bass management is disabled in source direct mode so the fact I don't actually have a sub is irrelevant).

The main reason I now tend not to use source direct for movies is because of the loss of the channel delays. Unless you sit the same distance from all your speakers this is important.

Michael.

Originally posted by martian1
I have the 6200 and find the soundtrack flat as a fart on this disc. Gunshots etc are muffled unless i switch "direct mode" on, i find since getting this amp it can destroy a half decent soundtrack even though the likes of LOTR and Saving private Ryan are excellent on it. Very strange!
I find using direct mode gives the dynamics to soundtracks i like although i dont think this mode sould be used for movie soundtracks. My other amps would not let you do this ...but then they never needed it like this amp seems to

I sold my 6200 a few months ago but thought that the movie playback was excellent and very dynamic when replaying DD and DTS discs. Surely direct mode will only replay stereo with Pro Logic at best.

I wonder whether the problem is with Heat itself :confused:

Originally posted by Ian J
Surely direct mode will only replay stereo with Pro Logic at best.
No, Direct mode is the same as 'Auto' in terms of decoding i.e. DD 5.1 and DTS will be detected and decoded no problem. Direct mode cuts out tone controls, bass management and channel delays. It still does all the DSP processing though.

Michael.

Originally posted by groundy
Using the Source Direct mode on these Marantz receivers sets all speakers to large and sub to YES. Unless you have highly capable full-range mains then you should not use this mode at all. On my system, the whole bottom end drops away using this mode. Setting the speakers to small, all bass to sub and crossover to MAX yeilds far greater results than the direct mode on my system. Heat sounds amazing though my 6200. Perhaps you do not have your systems calibrated correctly?

Source Direct is misleading. When you set Source Direct mode, it does set all speakers to large and sub to yes, however, if you set sub to yes, the receiver does not pass the .1 channel to the other speakers and you lose the low frequencies. It sounds weird on my setup.

If you don't have a sub, you need to set all speakers to large and sub to no. If you do have a sub and you reckon the bottom end drops away, I'd say your sub isn't integrating correctly and you may have to play around till you find a satisfactory config.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom