1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz, Sony, Denon, Onkyo or Yamaha

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by zero1seven, May 14, 2004.

1. zero1seven

zero1seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the market of buying a new amp and have been reading numerous reviews that are available on the net and came up with a short list of favourites.

Marantz SR5400
    Sony STR DB790
    Denon AVR-1804
    Onkyo TX-SR601
    Yamaha RX-V640RDS

I have a problem deciding since all of them got good reviews and wondered if anyone in the forum has any criticism or phrase regarding the amps mentioned. To be honest I am leaning more to Marantz since my local dealer has them on promotion, but I really like the looks of the Sony and Onkyo model (silly me). However I heard that Yamaha is a good all rounder, which is good since I will not only be watching movies, but listening to allot of music as well on my B&W leisure series speakers.

Any advice would be most appreciated

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    the Marantz is most likely the most musical of the bunch you have mentioned. If you cansqueeze a few more pounds out the OSE version is even better in stereo than the normal version. The onkyo's are not well known. If you can get a demo do it as that is the only real way to know if you like the sounds that they output.:lesson:
    Any one will do you well in H/C and it might also be worth looking at the new 650 from Yamaha as it has auto setup and PL2x.
    Check out the thread on here about best prices for £300 amps it might be invaluable to you. :D

3. zero1seven

zero1seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Dfour :D , with so much choices, it became much difficult for me to decide. The Onkyo was recommended by another dealer which got me thinking. The review for the 501 was great but there was no info on the 601. I will take your advise on the Yamaha and will compare it to the Marantz.:smashin:

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Just looked at prices and the 650 is about £400 and the 5400 you can get from about £270.

Have fun with it all :smashin: