Question Marantz Smart Menu?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Raj248, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Raj248

Raj248
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Think am (finally) getting back into this world after maybe 10 years! Currently pulling out of storage:
    - 2 x B&W XT4, 2 x B&W XT2
    - 1 x B&W PV1
    Got the XTC but not sure if I will use it.

Looking to use a Marantz NR1608 as it's slimline and has lots of inputs. Main usage will be for DVDs, HTPC, Chromecast or Firestick, and some games. TV is a 4/5 year old Panasonic LED.

The 2 key issues as I see them are:
    - Will the speakers work reasonably well with this amp? Am not planning on blasting anything as living in a flat.
    - Has anyone had any experience with "Smart Menu"? There don't appear to be any reviews or videos which cover this aspect in detail. At the moment the TV remote operates the TV and DVD player. A second remote operates the HTPC. If we want to use Chromecast etc we just change the input on the TV remote and hey-presto! If we can change input on the Marantz using the TV remote easily I can see this as a big win assuming the current ability to control the DVD player isn't compromised.

We really do not want a programmable remote!

I did look at the Yamaha slimline receivers and the cheaper Marantz one, but wanted at least 6 inputs plus the Smart Menu option if it does function like I think it should. Open to other suggestions though?

Thanks!!!
    Raj