Marantz SM-17 Reviwes

pwiles1968

Established Member
Reaction score
Other than Whay Hi-Fi about a year ago, Anyone seen any reviwes on thease?

:clown: Got the wrong prefix Should Read PS-17. It is the 2ch Stereo amp with the onboard AV processor that can be disabled during stereo playback.

We've now got one as the reference AV unit until Marantz send us an SR12. I idly did a web search on it and found squat. I guess the concept isn't that amenable to the UK (certainly most web hits were German). It does have a demodulated AC3 input for our crusty LD though :smashin:.

Cheers fama had not seen that one.

Tons My saviour again, I have been offered one of these by a mutual friend ;) my primary interest is the stereo performance, how do they sound in pure direct are they as good as something like the PM-17? (all thease -17 identifiers confuse me)

If I gi for it the source will be my CD6000ki which I thank you again for recommending, if I went for the PS I would probably get an SM-17 also initially for the surrounds but when I get a little more cash I would get some extra MA6100's for the surrounds and use the PS/SM to Bi-Amp the front speakers.

I believe it could be a very good and well integrated AV setup which should sound great in stereo, but at the end of the day it is still a lot of money, which I could spend on a PM17 even or similar although this would not integrate as well.

I'll be completely honest Paul, I haven't spent anything like as much time as I'd like in the listening room recently but from what time I have spent with the unit it is a very capable stereo performer indeed- it seems to run entirely direct when being fed by a straight stereo source. Its been a while since I heard a straight PM17 but I suspect if I did a blind test, I'd struggle to tell them apart. It is stunning with MC audio as well- probably better than the SR12 we're getting to replace it. The only chinks in the armour are the prehistoric stereo processing (I think it has Pro Logic but can't actually say I've tried it) and the fact that with the PS-17 and two PS-17's in place it is not small. Considering that I'm currently hankering after a Pioneer 919, that demodulated input could make me forgive it that.

As far as I am aware It has all the surround processing I would want (PLII, Neo6 etc) no PLIIx but there are 7.1 outputs, it was more the stereo aspect I am interested in, If I am lucky I may get a home demo in a month or two and I will see how it goes then, but if you get a chance to spend any time with your one let me know

Hi there,
I use a PS-17 for more than a year in my system and I'm completely happy with it. However, unless the UK-Version is different from mine, it doesn't have an AC3-RF-in for LD (I'm using an Meridian 519 for this), nor does it decode Prologic II. But it has circle surround, which I think is in this particular case up to PLII. It replaced a Denon AVR-3801 in my system and the question if I I miss DTS-ES discrete, I can answer with a clear and loud: NO! I even downgraded my former "7.1"-system to 5.1 again. Stereo performance is, imho, just incredible for an "AV-amp". The integrated amp is feeding a pair of B&W CDM9NT, for the center (CDMCNT) and the surrounds (CDM1NT) I have a couple of Parasounds HCA1200 MKII :D Oh, and I nearly forgot the B&W ASW3000 :blush: Sources are a Philips DVD963SA, aSony MXD-D3 CD/MD-Player, a Pioneer CLD2950 LD-Player and a Brainwave V880 for the big picture.

Lefreck said:
it doesn't have an AC3-RF-in for LD (I'm using an Meridian 519 for this

Do you know if they changed them half way through the production run because our one most definately does!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom