Marantz SA-14 S1 Special Edition

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by JohnnyNapalm, Dec 10, 2017.

1. JohnnyNapalm

JohnnyNapalm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Connected up my latest purchase today and all I can say is wow. I was using a CD-17 KI Sig for the last 10+ years and the improvement is considerable. Depth, separation and detail is far better. Currently on my fifth album of random playback material and it has shown itself as superior across old and new material. Just wanted to share my experiences thus far. Cheers.

2. Legzr1

Legzr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    The 17 is no sloutch (especially the KI - mine is staying put...) but the newer 14 series look serious machines! Digital inputs to make use of the excellent DAC and HDAM for other gear is a nice touch too - try feeding flac files into it and I think you'll be surprised.

In these days of plastic facias trying to look like polished metal, stuff like this, hewn from solid (well, maybe not but you get the idea) gives back that pride of ownership.

Tried it with SACD yet? I know it's a niche format now but, done well, I've heard nothing better - even the Top Gun soundtrack sounded fantastic via DSD years ago.

3. JohnnyNapalm

JohnnyNapalm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Currently on Simple Minds (CD) and working my way to Dire Straits (SACD) as soon as the littles are in the bath. Was surprised how good Creedence Clearwater Revival (CD) sounded. Just pondering going for that Bryston I asked you about as I have had improvement from this and the 4.2’s.? Hmm, not sure atm. Cheers.

4. Legzr1

Legzr1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I thought Dire Straits would have been the first one played (unless you were savouring it for a quieter time lol). Got it on my NAS, DSD ripped to 192/24 stereo and it's a fantastic recording. Since moving the Marantz processor on I have no way of playing it so back to 44/16 for me for now.
    Bryston...hmmmm - maybe hold back and enjoy what you have for now. They come up quite regularly so sourcing another in the future shouldn't be too difficult.
    Saying that, if funds allow an SST2 will grab those Kefs by the scruff of the neck and will never run out of steam - big, powerful amps driving large floorstanders at volume is something to behold - with the right material at the right volume it's as close to live as you get.

Summary: buy the 4B SST ;)