1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz S4 - new info from CEDIA

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Wolvreen, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Wolvreen

Wolvreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Available from Jan 2005
    Sadly no increase of resolution now
    (they may launch new res at CES Jan 2005, my guess only)
    New option of medium throw lense
    Quoted contrast of 4000:1
    ”World’s First Use of Gennum VXP™ Video Processing in A Video Projector
    Price of $13,499 (Approx 8750 GBP)

http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/marantzvp1254.php

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    I think they should have called it a VP12-S3+ :)

Wonder why they didn'y try the 8 section colour wheel?
    Maybe they found something they didn't like etc.

I think the S4 just makes the "best" better! :D (coming from a very happy S3 owner)

Finally! :rolleyes: , full bandwidth component inputs. Nice addition, but i think HD sources should be connected via DVI/HDMI anyway.

The new processor sounds exciting, and can be put to good use now that the S4 has HDMI(x2). (HDMIs ability to accept digital interlaced signals etc)

It is almost a relief that the specs haven't changed much, as this normally sends the older models used price into freefall.
    In fact, that new (awful) pearlescent paint job might just raise the price of the previous model! :devil:

So it looks as if it will be the next generation model before we see some real groundbreaking developments ie 1920x1080/dynamic Iris/4th panels etc (aka Eclipse) :hiya:

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Urgh. That paint job makes it look really tacky. How could they do that? What were they thinking of? I guess that shows what little changes have been carried out 'under the hood' as they felt the need to show it off as a 'different' pj.

My S3 will be going this week :sob: and I'm now only pleased it isn't in anticipation of the S4. I think any S3 owner would be crazy to upgrade for the minimal changes they seem to have made.

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I wonder why they didn't go for the new chip like the Sim2 300E ?

Jeff :rtfm:

5. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Well I saw the HT300e yesterday and today is S4's chance....(I presume that's what's in the closed demo). Genum are the guys who make the chipset used in the HD Leeza....and I think it was also used in another HD scaler that never made it to market.....With all these things be it DMD's, scaling or de-interlcaing solutions it's the implimentation that is imortant.

6. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Jeff, there is talk that the S4 does infact include the "Dark Chip3-DC3".
    But if it doesn't, then they have missed the boat.

Have you seen the "Dark Chip3-DC3" in the Sim in action yet?
    If so, i assume the results are subtle but worth having etc.

Since the S4 is an updated S3, means it will be a stunning piece of kit anyway. But they need something extra to justify the premium that it sells for.

Neil, why you selling the S3? Or the better question is what are you getting next!!! :devil:

7. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Elliot, make sure you go chat up Tom Strade!!! :D
    I know Hooters can be more interesting than Immersive!
    But we NEED to know more about the product formally know as "Eclipse" :rotfl:

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
  9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    gandley, i think your right.
    Somebody over at AVS said the rep at the show said it did include the DC3, even though all the boarding said HD2+ only!

I think Marantz and Sim need to have a hard think about their pricing.
    The H77 and the new Sharp 2000 will just embarass them into some very drastic price cuts.

The top DLP machines do justify being slightly dearer, due to better optics/build quality etc. But it would be hard to justify double the price!

Another amazing thing about the super value H77 is the low fan noise. The S3/S4 have a die cast case that acts as a heatsink, yet although very low the fan can still be heard.
    Yet somehow the H77 deals with the same heat near silently. :confused:
    I only hope the H77 hasn't sacrificed long term reliability for the sake of a few decibels etc.

I love my S3, but if buying right now......mmmm.....H77? :devil:

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    well have seen the H77 in action, and i wouldnt part with your S3 just yet!. it sure is quiet though.

I might partx my sim2 in for a sim2 300E with DC3.

.Also from what ive heared TI are not going straight to 1920X1080 next but have an intermediate chipset that they will use.And i guess there will be about 2-3 revisions of that chip before they introduce a true 1920X1080 chip.

But thats only rumour.. :)

11. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    As regards price i think your absolutly right.

The average punter will see HD2+ and a contrast of around 3500:1 and think its the dogs at such a cheap price. they wont even bother to look higher.

i mean H77 for £3400, marants S4 £9000.
    yes the latter is better but £5600 diff is a huge leap. And in real terms the onscreen diff is not there.

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    I should be able to give some opinion by the weekend. My S3 is now at it's new home (enjoy) and with some amazing timing (not planned I might add) I had a call this afternoon to say the H77 is on it's way and should be here Thursday or Friday. As fan noise was my biggest bug bear I am happy to forego some image quality to get a near silent pj sitting above my head. I'm also looking forward to the increased brightness (always had to run the S3 in low lamp mode) and power focus/zoom.

Should be a fun weekend :D

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,023
    Messiah, you will have to post your thoughts on the H77 as it will be very interesting, especially coming from and in comparison to a Marantz S3.

14. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Got anything left for a SVS? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    I'm sure I'll find some. Maybe raid the piggy bank :p Still concerned about it shaking the house down though. It's only a Barratt house after all :laugh:

16. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Has it got a NHBC Guarantee?

Sorted then :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

17. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,000
    Well saw the S4: Guy doing presentation wasn't that great. Talked some crap and then played some NFL Football on screen feeding 1080i in to it to show how good the de-interlacing was. (most Footy in USA is broadcast 720P at shows) so he thought he was fooling everyone in to thinking it was 720P captured. However it fell apart and stuttered badly on some pans....it also looked washed out compared to how I have seen the S3. Possibly due to how they set up room with lights still on.

It does use HD2+. Mr presenter claimed the new dark chip 3 wasn't a new chip at all and that it was just HD2+ with bug fixes.

Gordon

18. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Sounds like a bit of a blag then to raise the price?

19. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +533
    gandley, there is no way i would swap my S3 for ANY 1 chip DLP that is available at the moment! :D
    The quality of the optics/light path has a massive effect on the picture, and the Marantz has one of the best.
    Most 1 chip DLP machines cannot show a white on black grid without some colour "fringing". The S3 uses this as it's setup pattern, when most others use green/red or blue!
    You can imagine what effect "fringing" can have on fine detail/sharpness etc. :rolleyes:
    When i bought the S3(last November) there wasn't anything around to touch it.
    I bought it as a compromise after leaving CRT, but it turned out much better than i dared hope! :)

But if i was going to buy right now, i would be very cautious on spending too much, what with "Dynamic Iris"/1080p projectors just entering the market etc.
    The quality of some of these "budget" offerings is getting seriously good ;)

On the subject of the S4 and DC3.
    Here's a direct quote from Dan Miller (Marantz USA)

"Here's the deal.

The VP-12S4 will (and the prototype does) use the DC3 chip. We didn't make a big deal about it because from an engineering standpoint the chip is a running change to HD2+. If for example the VP-12S3 assembly line was running still, it would have it (it already uses the "premium" hand selected version of the FTP (another "running" change) HD2+). But the chips shipped to us just as the production line was scaling down to prepare for the S4. My head engineer considers it a "minor" improvement over the 2+. It wasn't even in my talk on the first day, because of that fact. However with it being plastered all over Sim2's booth, it started to come up later in the day on Friday. The problem in communication is that besides me, there are 2 others who might find themselves doing presentations in our theater. They knew about the premium chips, but since they are not product guys, they didn't know about DC3. And I am remiss for not explaining it to them. But during a show it is hard enough to keep things running (the prototype locked up regularly and we had a 3 chip waiting in the wings to take its place).

The chips just shipped and I would be surprised if Sim2 actually ships a product before us, but since we are engineering what is virtually a completely new design, it might happen.

Allow me to apologize for the miscommunication though. While I realize the importance of accuracy in events where there are reporters everywhere (professional and otherwise), sometimes things get either misstated or misread. This is why the professional ones rely on press releases which get proofed with a fine tooth comb.

FWIW, the prototype exhibited absolutely NO dithering. None. Zero. Nada. Zip. Which made setting the black level almost impossible, since my source was 1080i from a hard drive and I didn't have any 1080i test signals available. Otherwise the tiny bit of dither that is usually there makes it easier to set the black floor.

But according to my chief engineer (whose opinion I value greatly) the difference between the 2 and the 2+ was HUGE relative to the difference between the 2+ and DC3.

Dan"

So there you go! :smashin:

Ps
    I do wonder if those "hand picked - Premium" FTP panels(introduced mid prodution run etc), was the reason why i was so sure my replacement S3 was some sort of upgraded model?(search for my S3 posts for more info etc)
    FTP = Fast Track Panel

20. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,000
    Well that'll serve me right for not being in a demo Dan did.....I do wonder how these manufacturers manage to make such large goofs at such important shows.

One of the other funny ones was on Fujitsu's booth. Actually there were alot on Fujitu's booth....in fact I'll go write a report about CEDIA I think....

Gordon

21. Nautilus-Sye

Nautilus-Sye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Every one Marantz in england have the new book out on the new s4 projector i have just received my copy :clap:

22. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    and?.............

Wow gordan whats with the new photo. you get married or somthing?

23. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,000
  24. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: