Marantz ruby and subwoofer

rayyzfr1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’m after some help please. I have a marantz ruby integrated amplifier that I would like to connect to a bk subwoofer.
My main question is this. The marantz has no subwoofer outlet and from what I’ve tried reading it may not be possible to add one.
Does anyone have the marantz ruby that has successfully added a subwoofer and if so how. I believe I can only do it through high level but don’t know if that’s possible with this amp

If your BK sub has high level neutrik input, which I would imagine it has, then it needs to be connected as below (same as REL).

REL-Neutrik.jpg

I believe it has speakon high level cable.
This is what I’m led to believe but I honestly don’t understand.

That's a difficult one as the ruby doesn't have a pre-out, it has two tape outs but they cannot be used as they stay at a constant level. The only option therefore is to use the high level input from the speaker terminals to the subwoofer using a Speakon high level cable. This connection is also made more difficult as the amplifier is not your normal class-a/b, the Marantz website says that it is a current feedback amplifier. Not knowing what the topology of a current feedback amplifier actually is, I am worried that you may not be able to connect the the black wire of the high level lead to the -Ve speaker terminals, it may damage the amplifier or the subwoofer. The only saving grace is that your amplifier has a chassis ground terminal (Signal Ground) for a phono stage so you should be able to connect the black wire of the high level lead to this point and then wire the red and white wires as normal to the left and right +Ve speaker terminals

You connect the Marantz up using the three strand Speakon cable as shown above. It's then a case of balancing the sub to your satisfaction. You can use spade connectors for the Speakon and bar wire or banana plugs for the speakers.

To make sure you could always contact Marantz customer support but as far as I'm aware there are no restrictions to connecting a high level sub connection to any Marantz amps.

Odd they don’t let the customer chose to use pre out in case of an active subwoofer. Still I don’t see any danger of using @gibbsy illustration. Bit exhausting using one speaker terminal for both the speakers, subwoofer.

If they included pre out it would be easier. Still from my understanding high level subwoofer connection is far better then low level connection.

I believe high level connection sends the music signal from the speakers only, then the low frequency from the subwoofer.

Low level does both. I could be wrong. May I ask which speakers you use now.

You connect the Marantz up using the three strand Speakon cable as shown above. It's then a case of balancing the sub to your satisfaction. You can use spade connectors for the Speakon and bar wire or banana plugs for the speakers.

To make sure you could always contact Marantz customer support but as far as I'm aware there are no restrictions to connecting a high level sub connection to any Marantz amps.
Many thanks gibbsy. Really appreciate your help

Odd they don’t let the customer chose to use pre out in case of an active subwoofer. Still I don’t see any danger of using @gibbsy illustration. Bit exhausting using one speaker terminal for both the speakers, subwoofer.

If they included pre out it would be easier. Still from my understanding high level subwoofer connection is far better then low level connection.

I believe high level connection sends the music signal from the speakers only, then the low frequency from the subwoofer.

Low level does both. I could be wrong. May I ask which speakers you use now.
I have Dali opticon 6mk2

Yes just connect up to the speaker terminals using the high level input - the Ruby is a Class D amp I think (it's important to be completely sure) - so check the REL instructions for that.

The nice thing is that it's very easy to connect up a stereo pair too if you want to - just attach one sub to each set of speaker terminals.

With one sub you take signal off both sets of speaker terminals. Positioning is crucial with a single sub of course.

Yes just connect up to the speaker terminals using the high level input - the Ruby is a Class D amp I think (it's important to be completely sure) - so check the REL instructions for that.

The nice thing is that it's very easy to connect up a stereo pair too if you want to - just attach one sub to each set of speaker terminals.

With one sub you take signal off both sets of speaker terminals. Positioning is crucial with a single sub of course.
Generally it is not recommended to connect subs to high level outputs on a Class D amp, it can result in damage to the amp. As the OPs sub is a BK I would check with them as the REL instructions for doing this with Class D are specific to REL's sub amps and their grounding. BK may do something different so could be costly if you get it wrong.

Lyngdorf specifically warn against doing this in their amp manuals as it can damage the amp.

From REL's site
Instead, most Class D amps reference to 10-15 volts ABOVE ground. Why does this matter? Because REL’s have always used earth ground as their reference point. This is done for safety’s sake. Therefore, connecting a Class D amp to a REL that sinks to ground like most amps for the past 70 years creates; 1) a significant current load resulting in heat and eventual damage to the REL (occasionally the main amp, but usually the REL’s input stage) and 2) since the Class D amp is not referenced to ground, it may create hum.

I have Dali opticon 6mk2
And you feel the Dali speakers don’t give enough bass? Perhaps other floor standing speakers can improve the bass. Monitor Audio Silver 500 as example. The Marantz should have no problems driving those speakers.

MA is excellent in the bass. Perhaps a bit harsh depending on your taste, Still the Marantz should give some warmth to the sound. Warning though. MA need a lot break in. They sound great out of the box, but they’ll improve over time.

KEF Q floor standing speakers might also be an option.

And you feel the Dali speakers don’t give enough bass? Perhaps other floor standing speakers can improve the bass. Monitor Audio Silver 500 as example. The Marantz should have no problems driving those speakers.

MA is excellent in the bass. Perhaps a bit harsh depending on your taste, Still the Marantz should give some warmth to the sound. Warning though. MA need a lot break in. They sound great out of the box, but they’ll improve over time.

I honestly love my Dali speakers, I think they could do with a little more warmth but I absolutely love the detail and clarity. It’s my mrs who wants more. She appreciates the sound but as she only listens to real heavy rock, like Rammstein, scorpions etc she’s missing something

We did try the MA silver 500 speakers which had much more bass but we both found the bass way to much and we really didn’t enjoy the sound from them. No detail or clarity in our opinion

It’s not a Rel I’m considering, it’s a HK electronic. I’m still waiting a reply from marantz

Hi all. Just a quick update if anyone is interested. I received my HK sub this morning. Connected up using high level speakon cable, listened, adjusted and listened some more. Very nice. After around 3 hours of playing different music and really enjoying it the ruby amplifier and marantz 6006 streamer went into protection mode. Ruby was still very cool but the na6006 streamer was hot. Let it cool down and tried again. After 3 hours or so the streamer was hot again. Looks like I will have to buy a preamp to run the subwoofer.
Does anyone have any ideas if marantz ever made a preamp in the same shape cosmetically as the ruby and na6006 streamer

So you added a sub and connected it using the high level connections to a Class D amp which caused your amp to go into protection mode - despite being advised that connecting a subs high level connections to a Class D amp was not recommended and likely to cause issues :facepalm:

So you added a sub and connected it using the high level connections to a Class D amp which caused your amp to go into protection mode - despite being advised that connecting a subs high level connections to a Class D amp was not recommended and likely to cause issues :facepalm:
Hi. I followed the recommendations from rel and bk where I connected the black speakon wire to ground using the amps own ground. According to them that’s how they connect a sub to class d. also rel say connect an in-line rca from an unused rca to the subs lfe which apparently also creates an earth with lfe knob turned to zero

Hi. I followed the recommendations from rel and bk where I connected the black speakon wire to ground using the amps own ground. According to them that’s how they connect a sub to class d. also rel say connect an in-line rca from an unused rca to the subs lfe which apparently also creates an earth with lfe knob turned to zero
and you know how that turned out

and you know how that turned out
Yes. I have now disconnected the subwoofer. I will have to find a preamp or power amp and run the subwoofer off that. That was last resort really because marantz don’t make a preamp or power amp in this cosmetic style that I can afford now.

You should have verified with Marantz first, in which manner is the safest way to connect the subwoofer.

Still everyone can be unlucky. If the amplifier went in protection mode I seriously doubt it’s damaged.

The subwoofer-don’t know.

But hang on. The streamer was overheating?

The sub is connected via HighLevel to the Amplifier speaker terminals.

Is this definitely a problem with the addition of the Subwoofer?

You should have verified with Marantz first, in which manner is the safest way to connect the subwoofer.

Still everyone can be unlucky. If the amplifier went in protection mode I seriously doubt it’s damaged.

The subwoofer-don’t know.
I agree. Lesson learnt. I phoned marantz today as I’ve been waiting 3 weeks for a reply to this question. Marantz were not very helpful. They didn’t know or wasn’t 100% sure. Just advised me to buy a power or preamp and run the sub from that. He didn’t inspire to much confidence really. Wasn’t sure when asked if it should be preamp or power amp

Can you show us a picture of what you connected it to? Sounds like we're missing something.
No photo and it’s disconnected now but I used the speakon cable. Red wire to right speaker positive, yellow wire to left speaker positive and the black was earthed to the ruby’s chassis. Then a single rca lead from an empty unused rca connection running to the LFE on the subwoofer amp. Rel have a YouTube video on exactly how to do this with a class D amp

No photo and it’s disconnected now but I used the speakon cable. Red wire to right speaker positive, yellow wire to left speaker positive and the black was earthed to the ruby’s chassis. Then a single rca lead from an empty unused rca connection running to the LFE on the subwoofer amp. Rel have a YouTube video on exactly how to do this with a class D amp

Attachments

• E1635942-2BAB-48F3-9FB5-9CFDA733FFFE.png
    E1635942-2BAB-48F3-9FB5-9CFDA733FFFE.png
    702.5 KB · Views: 96

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom