Marantz ruby and subwoofer

Helix Hifi

More importantly the amplifier works like it before? Did the streamer also act strange?

rayyzfr1

Novice Member
But hang on. The streamer was overheating?

The sub is connected via HighLevel to the Amplifier speaker terminals.

Is this definitely a problem with the addition of the Subwoofer?
I can only presume so yes. Streamer never overheated before and they have never gone into protection mode before. Now the sub is disconnected both amp and streamer are running cool, been playing now today since 10am today, now nearly 4pm

Helix Hifi

The Marantz amplifier only has one speaker terminals, so by connecting the Rel subwoofer it went in protection mode.

Are you sure none of the wires touched each other?

And does it say anything about connecting subwoofer to the amplifier in the manual?

rayyzfr1

Novice Member
The Marantz amplifier only has one speaker terminals, so by connecting the Rel subwoofer it went in protection mode.

Are you sure none of the wires touched each other?

And does it say anything about connecting subwoofer to the amplifier in the manual?
Doesn’t say anything in the manual. It was playing for 3 hours or more No wires were touching each other

Helix Hifi

It went in protection mode because the wires touched the chassis of the amplifier.

Maybe you basically earthed the Marantz amplifier by a fault, since Marantz is earthed trough the chassis. It’s symbol behind where it says double isolated.
No wires should touch the chassis. Like bare wired speaker cables as example.

Not familiar with Rel but if they recommend this connecting, then something else must have gone wrong.

Just a few thoughts from me.

Helix Hifi

Contact service shop which handles Marantz. They should know.

rayyzfr1

Novice Member
It went in protection mode because the wires touched the chassis of the amplifier.

Maybe you basically earthed the Marantz amplifier by a fault, since Marantz is earthed trough the chassis. It’s symbol behind where it says double isolated.
No wires should touch the chassis. Like bare wired speaker cables as example.

Not familiar with Rel but if they recommend this connecting, then something else must have gone wrong.

Just a few thoughts from me.this is what I did as both rel and HK say to do with a class d amp

Helix Hifi

And how on earth could the streamer overheat like mentioned by @gava.

I assume it’s connected by 2 RCA cables.

It seems gremlins is messing with you system.

MaryWhitehouse

That's why we need pics, I think there's something basic, and accidental, going on.

rayyzfr1

Novice Member

No by speakon cable as per manufacture recommendations. I have no idea how the streamer overheated. Doesn’t now the sub is disconnected. Ruby amp was cool. It’s really got me stumped

MaryWhitehouse

No by speakon cable as per manufacture recommendations. I have no idea how the streamer overheated. Doesn’t now the sub is disconnected. Ruby amp was cool. It’s really got me stumped

So the streamer had NO connection to sub? The only connection from streamer to amp is 2 RCA cables?

Helix Hifi

If the subwoofer is covered by warranty/30 days return right. I’d just return it. It could be faulty.

HK, do you mean Harman Kardon?

Since the amplifier only has one pair of speaker terminals, this means you need to connect both the subwoofer, speakers to the same speaker terminals.

Can you tell how you connect the speaker cables. Spades, banana, bare wire?

rayyzfr1

Novice Member
If the subwoofer is covered by warranty/30 days return right. I’d just return it. It could be faulty.

HK, do you mean Harman Kardon?

Since the amplifier only has one pair of speaker terminals, this means you need to connect both the subwoofer, speakers to the same speaker terminals.

Can you tell how you connect the speaker cables. Spades, banana, bare wire?
Bare wire through the posts as both rel and HK electronics said and 1 positive to each speaker positive, again as rel and HK electronics say

tazzo1

I'm going to be running two subs with Hypex Fusion Class D amplifiers. I have emailed Hypex to see if it is safe to do so with the high level connections.

From what I have read on this article -

You DON'T connect the black ground wire to the amplifier.

larkone

I'm going to be running two subs with Hypex Fusion Class D amplifiers. I have emailed Hypex to see if it is safe to do so with the high level connections.

The OP is using BK subs not Rel so you cannot guarantee they will work in the same way.

rayyzfr1

Novice Member

I read that but if you watch rels video on YouTube they clearly say if you get a hum you can attach the black wire to the amps chassis

let there be light

Novice Member
Hello,

First time posting here!

Has anyone had any luck connecting a subwoofer without issues? This is what Marantz replied yesterday about connecting a subwoofer:

The PM-KI Ruby is not a Fully (or true) Balanced amp. Only the PM-10 in our Reference line is Fully Balanced.

We do not recommend connecting a speaker level sub to this unit as it may cause damage to the amp channels. Unfortunately, the PM-KI Ruby is not designed to handle a sub. It's designed to be used with 2 speakers connected only.

Still, wondering if anybody has been successful. The Ruby, imo, will benefit from a subwoofer. I am using them with KEF LS50.

Thanks

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

The Ruby is a Class D amp and I believe that damage may indeed be caused if you connect a sub amp via the binding posts for a high level connection. I've seen other manufacturers warning of the same. The KEF R3s would have made for a better partner for the Ruby in my opinion.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Astell&Kern announces new Kann Max DAP and Pathfinder earphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
McIntosh unveils flagship MCD12000 CD/SACD player
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonos announces new Ray soundbar
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony set to launch WH-1000XM5 wireless headphones