1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz remote control setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hockeyshooter, Jun 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. hockeyshooter

hockeyshooter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just replaced my ageing stereo separates (20 years plus) with two Marantz units - a SD4050 dual cassette and an SR4400 surround receiver. Cassette deck works fine, but I'm having a lot of problems with the amp. I now have a fine collection of remotes and want to teach the one for the Marantz (which is a RC5400SR - not one with an LCD) how to control what some of the others do. However, the method seems awfully complicated (press this, press that, count the number of times the LED flashes - goodness sake!) and so far I've had no luck getting it to control anything but the SR4400. Has anyone out there, by any chance, done this? Is there a way of entering the codes straight into the remote? There are lists of codes on a number of websites.

BTW if anyone is considering the SR4400, it has the worst set of speaker binding posts I've ever encountered.

Chris.

2. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may just want to get a universal remote to handle everything. Get a nice one that can handle 8 devices, has macros, and can be upgraded. The URC-8811 made by One-for-All is a good example:

- 8 devices, as well as Home Theatre mode
    - every button is modifiable to perform a different function
    - 4 macro buttons/15 steps each
    - 4 learning buttons per device (for extra functions, like "angle" on a DVD player)
    - totally backlit
    - can learn from other remotes
    - JP1 connector lets you attach the remote to your computer for even more customized tweaking

I recommend it!

3. hockeyshooter

hockeyshooter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once I'd found out how to enter codes directly, I managed to get it to work with my Sony DVD player, Philips VCR and Hitachi television, plus the Marantz tape deck via the daisy chain wire between it and the amp. The only item left that I don't have a code for is a Thompson DTI-1000 Freeview box.

Chris.