Marantz receiver Unable to Stream

Tim821

Novice Member
Update of October 21, 2021: I conducted a new test on the problem originally described below, for the first time on another local network, not at my home. I took the receiver to a restaurant with an outdoor patio, used a Jackery power station, and only the remote to control the MCR612 screen, no phones. Out of ten podcasts, all on News and Talk on Tunein, five stopped at 19-20 seconds, and five continued. I went home and tested exactly those sa,e podcasts on my home network and got identical results: Every podcast was the same on my home network and at the restaurant, as to whether it stopped or continued. Occasionally there are days like this with some continuations, not often. But the main point is that the results were identical on my home network and on a restaurant network three miles away. This is conclusive: What is causing this receiving problem, presumably, is inside the MCR612, how its software and hardware handled the network, so likely a flaw in my individual unit, since the problem is not general in the sense of no other highly similar reports.

ORIGINAL POST:
What could make a Marantz receiver usually stop all streamed podcasts at the 20 second point, with good precision plus or minus one second? [MCR612]

#1. This is not a file quality issue or a wifi issue: All podcasts play fine on web pages on the same local network, and they also play fine on the iphone podcast native app. Also, the problem on the receiver happens even when I bypass wifi and connect an ethernet line from the router to the receiver.

#2. This is not a smartphone issue: HEOS and Tunein are inside this receiver (as well as on the phone app), and podcast playing stops at 20 seconds even when using only the receiver's native remote and display screen, with all phones off before turning on the receiver.

#3. Is a podcast-only issue: Stations, defined as displaying only time expired, not as with podcasts both time expired and time remaining, play fine on the receiver.

What cause could meet all the above conditions? My two 'best' speculations are:

A. Something in the HEOS-Tunein software installed on the receiver incorrectly thinks that "time remaining" in the podcast is at zero when it is not, so a time counting problem.

B. Something in the HEOS-Tunein software installed on the receiver thinks the network transmission has stopped, when it has not, so a network problem related to internal software, not the network itself.

Last edited:

wiz

Distinguished Member
Done a firmware update recently?

Do a firmware reset if possible

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
You'd probably need someone with the same model AVR in the USA to try the same specific problem podcast(s) on their unit and have the effect repeatable or not repeatable to know whether it's a generic issue or one unique to you.

Marantz USA customer service?
Your supplying dealer?

Tim821

Novice Member
Done a firmware update recently?

Do a firmware reset if possible
Good general point, but yes and more than once, but I did it again just now. I see the message on the receiver screen that the firmware is up to date. I think, but am not sure on this point, that Marantz support told me that on this receiver the installed HEOS software cannot be removed and freshly installed. My personal best guess is that this is what is needed, but only a guess. My fav theory is that a software installation glitch is causing the receiver to think the network has stopped, when it really has not. I wish I knew what the differences are technically between a streaming podcast verses a streaming station, since podcasts but not stations have this problem. [Defining "podcast" as displaying both time expired and time remaining.] It may be highly relevant, if I am right on the facts, that Marantz did not install HEOS software on the MCR611, so maybe they have more to discover and learn in terms of installing HEOS on their receivers. I should add that I have done the reset several times on this receiver, to no change.

Last edited:

Tim821

Novice Member
You'd probably need someone with the same model AVR in the USA to try the same specific problem podcast(s) on their unit and have the effect repeatable or not repeatable to know whether it's a generic issue or one unique to you.

Marantz USA customer service?
Your supplying dealer?
Yes, your idea is perfect. Perhaps someone with the MCR612 would test my issue and report on this board. I have worked with Marantz Tier 2 support for several weeks, and lately I asked if they could do some testing somehow. My understanding is that the Marantz tier 2 support rep has sent the issue "to corporate", and that was maybe a week ago, so I have to wait for feedback on that. The dealer is Crutchfield which has great phone support, but phone support is as you doubtless know effective for common problems, which this apparently is not. If indeed this problem is not found in other MCR612 units, that still leaves open the possibility of a bad software install on my particular unit, which I think there is no way to fix, period, but I hope I am wrong on that. I did not put in the original post that I already sent the unit to Marantz-Panurgy for repairs. They replaced a network card which did not solve the issue, and I paid for freight in, so $40 ground plus $15 insurance plus shipping materials which cost $15, with some bubble wrap remaining for another time.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom