1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz RC9500 - Any user comments?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Crustyloafer, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Hi all, I am considering buying the new Marantz RC9500 to complete my setup. Are there any exisiting users of this product out there who can let me know what they think of the product? Are there any little niggles you only found out about after purchasing. Are there any particular features you find really useful? I look forward to hearing your responses.

2. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've been using the RC9500 for the past 8 months with great pleasure. I think I got one of the 1st ones when it was intoduced. It replaced the RC9200. It's a fantastic way to complete a new AV setup, and you won't be dissapointed.
    All of my kit (and I've got quite a lot) is managed through the RC9500, and the fact that my wife and 8 yr old wouldn't touch any other remote speaks for itself.

Niggles? It takes a bit of playing around when preping the first menu system, but if you've got the time and patiance it does pay off.

Features? reliable, easy to use, lights up when lifted, good battery life, great screen, macro and timer, never failed to recognise any of my kit's remotes.

Cheers,
    NC.

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Hurrah, finally. Thanks for your comments, I look forward to getting mine. I can't belive that no-one else on here has one of these.

4. BruceH

BruceH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have the RC9200, which I guess is basically the same with less colour depth.
    It's fantastic, I have worked my way up through RC5000i, RC5200, RC9200, but haven't made it to the RC9500 yet.

I spent a long time working on the layouts and spent ages on remotecentral.com
    If you are serious about getting this remote, you need to spend some time downloading files and reading on remotecentral.

You can see my CCF (configuration) files at http://brucehartley.com/

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Hi Bruce, thanks for your comments. Maybe you could take a look at my CCF file for me and maybe comment on it. I haven't quite finished the layout for all devices nor have I entered any IR codes yet. I couod e-mail it to you if you wouldn't mind taking a look, maybe you could give me a few pointers.

6. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My apologies, I meant to post a little while back, but got side tracked and forgot all about it (I also thought you would have gotten more of a response with your thread at RC than you actually did).

As NC11 previously said, the 9500 is an excellent piece of equipment and, in my opinion, well worth the investment; though I believe you’ll be getting yours at a somewhat advantageous price. Also, to slightly redress the balance of opinion express by those at RC, one has to take into account that several of the NG forum contributors were TSU7000 (RU980) beta testers, and hence have something of a vested interest. Similary, though they validly claim that Philips “regularly” (that is to say more often than Marantz, though regularly is a little misleading) produce firmware and software upgrades, they fail to mention Philips’s unenviable record in the bug department; the reason for my drifting away from Philips.

Now, however, having mentioned that dreaded word bug, there are a few idiosyncrasies within Wizz.It that you ought to be aware of. Again, my apologies if you already are, but there may be those who are not, so please bear with me.

1). To access the graphics of a downloaded file, right click on the pcf/Wizz.It file and select “Open with WinZip” (or what ever file compression software you use). All the bitmaps will be listed, along with the ConfigEdit.xml file.

2). Virtually all of the NG colour files at RC are for the TSU7000/RU980, but unfortunately for us 9500 users, they will not load directly into Wizz.It. For them to do so one has to carry out the following;

• As previously, open the selected pcf with WinZip.
    • On the top menu bar, select “Actions”.
    • Scroll down to “Comments” and select.
    • In the window alter the Type and Version information to the following . . .
    • Type:009
    • Version:001.000
    • Save

The pcf should now open with Wizz.It, though depending on how it’s written you may/may not experience some problems with the graphics. If you do, the following may help (with thanks to DT at RC);

• Having altered the Win Zip Type and Version , now open (double click) the xml file.
    • Near the top there is a line; <ConfigurationFile Mode=”ADVANCED” Version=”3”>
    • Alter the 3 to 2, thus you will now have; <ConfigurationFile Mode=”ADVANCED” Version=”2”>
    • Save

Presently (something that may be addressed in the mooted upgrade later this year) Wizz.It does not support the automatic <UpperLeftTransparency> feature as used by PENG. Apparently, it has the option in the software, but when it writes the file it picks a specific color with <TransparentColorIndex>, so if any of the images in the file you’re trying to convert use an auto transparency you will need to fix them manually.

3). Finally, a problem shared by both the Pronto and Marantz. When creating a program the advice is always to save as often as possible. Apparently though by doing this too many times in one session one can upset (corrupt) the “System Page” graphics; e.g. elements begin to disappear. So far as I’m aware there is, at the moment, no fix for this other than to monitor the “System Page”. If anything untoward is noticed, close Wizz.It/ProntoNG (do not save) and then reopen. Obviously you’ll have lost the last piece of work you were doing, but if you save often enough it shouldn’t be too much of an imposition.

David

Hello Bruce.

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,243
    Thanks for the tip, but I have already come across a solutions to this issue, all I seem to have to do is change the Type from whatever it is to '010' and all seems to work. If you woud like to comment on the work I've done so far on my PCF file I can send it to you, although it is really just a heavily modified version of one I download from RC website.

Thanks again,

Chris.

8. BruceH

BruceH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

Sure I'll take a look if you send it over.
    I've PM'd you with my email address.

9. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Same here.

10. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    What is the main difference between this and the equivalent Philips Pronto Model?

Is it worth the extra &#163;200 or so??

Adrian

11. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    The top of the range Marantz models normally come with the RF/IR extender as standard. With Pronto models, it's normally an optional extra.

12. thehellhecould

thehellhecould
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be a little off subject but I would love one of these Marantz remotes but have just bought a Philips RC9800i from a friend at a really cheap price.
    As I have never used one of these before it has taken me a few days to get my head around it and to set up my codes. However does anyone know of a way to rename the User Function buttons so that one can see at a glance what they are for each component?

Panasonic BD35,Panasonic DMR-E60,Panasonic DMR EZ27,Sky HD,V+ box, Humax 9300T, Sagem PVR ,Tivo, Onkyo Receiver TSR 606, Quintro Scart disributor,Panasonic TH50.

13. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,312
    You'd be better with a new thread. Let me know if you want one.

14. stoobie

stoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I agree a new thread, especially as the remote you have is nothing like any of the PRONTO type remotes (that also Marantz RC remotes) and those of us who use them won't know anything about your model.

remote central has a forum dedicated to the RC9800i.

remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-rc9800i

Stoobie

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2009