1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz RC5400 Universal Learning Remote

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by xhaytham, Oct 24, 2005.

1. xhaytham

xhaytham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm thinking of buying the Marantz's remote control but i'm so confused cause there are alot of other brands like philips and sony and so..... what do u guys recommend?

a shop here in my country told me if you're gonna buy the remote control without letting us programe it for u its gonna effect the price I mean he's gonna take off like 100$ !!! ... my question is ... Is the programming thing so easy or it takes a long time or its impossible?

thank you very much

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi,

The Marantz remotes are just clones of the Philips Pronto type remotes with slight differences in appearance and software. Both Philips/Marantz do give a lot of flexibility to program exactly what you want, with macro's and different screen set-ups.

As for the programming of them, this is where opinion is divided. Some say it is too time consuming and difficult, others, like me, say it is worth the effort to program the remote to your exact specifications. Your best bet is to try out the software yourself before buying. Check on the Marantz website here for the Wizz-It software, download it and try it out. You can do the same on the Philips website here and try their software also. The equivalent of the RC5400 is RU950 for the Philips remote.

Also have a look at the remote central website for more info on the different remotes available, and other peoples designs using either software, so you can see exactly what it can do :smashin:

After

3. xhaytham

xhaytham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you very much

4. xhaytham

xhaytham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excuse me I wanna ask you a question

what is the best if i'm gonna compare these remotes

RC5400 from Marantz

or

RC9800I/17 from Philips

or there is no way to compare those? if so.. what is the equivalent for both brands

thanks alot

5. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    The direct equivalent of the RC5400 is the RU950, but as you have said, Philips have just announced the RC9800. It's a colour remote with a different screen setup and different software by the looks of it. I must admit I don't know a lot about the RC9800 so can't really comment on the comparison.

Has anyone else seen or played with the RC9800 yet?

Cheers

Andy

6. Hoggers

Hoggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello...

Have found this thread from RemoteCentral if it is of any help...

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-ipronto/thread.cgi?508

I does explain some of the differences the main one being the fact that it is not a programmable remote and as far as I can see there is no software that allows you to configure.

For what its worth I have the TSU7000 (US version of the RU980) and it is brilliant. Programming takes a bit to figure out but once you have the hang of it the options are (almost) endless.

Cheers,

Alastair :)

7. Richyc

Richyc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been programming marantz/pronto remotes for quite a few years now and from experience can say that programming it from the computer software is fine once you've got your head around it (but...). If you want it to work well though by using lots of macros (watch sky, watch DVD etc.) a lot depends on the equipment you have. Some kit will work well with remotes and some just make it difficult by using lots of toggle switches etc etc.

I think ultimately if your the kind of person that loves playing with av kit and computers and don't mind spending days/weeks/months perfecting your remote interface then have a go. If like most people you just want the bugger to work get the people at the shop you buy it from to programme it.